This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wd blue ssd differences

User Info: arstos

arstos
4 weeks ago#1
What's the difference between these 2 drives other than 20 bucks?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RvDbYT

Almost bought the nand one on Amazon before i realized it wasn't the same one as i had in my build.
Steam:Dragonlibrarian7, PSN:Dragonlibrarian, Switch:6996-4479-5279

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
4 weeks ago#2
Looks like the "G1" model at OutletPC is an older model. Still has similar speeds as the one listed on Amazon, but all the reviews are from 2018 on the "G2" model there. Awful lot of 1 star reviews about these drives, though.
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16GB Corsair 3200 | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe | Asus STRIX 2080 | EVGA G+ 850W
EVGA SC17 6820HK @ 3.7GHz

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#3
Why would you get one of those and not an Evo?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

arstos
4 weeks ago#4
Familiarity, I usually get Seagate or WD, and nobody suggested switching to Samsung when i posted the build lol.

Are they that much better?

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
4 weeks ago#5
You won't see a big speed difference, but in terms of reliability Samsung is usually second to none. I was just surprised to see so many people saying theirs showed up DOA or dead within a month.
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16GB Corsair 3200 | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe | Asus STRIX 2080 | EVGA G+ 850W
EVGA SC17 6820HK @ 3.7GHz

arstos
4 weeks ago#6
Hmm, seems to be a lot more variations for the Evo, which one should I be looking at?

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#7
arstos posted...
Hmm, seems to be a lot more variations for the Evo, which one should I be looking at?

the 860 one
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#8
Samsung, Micron, and Hynix are all manufacturers of flash memory, and source their own flash memory for their SSDs. Since they make the stuff, they know the stuff, and also source high quality flash memory controllers, and tune those well for good performance and longevity.
Western Digital and Seagate are harddrive manufacturing companies that manufacture their own harddrives. However, they don't make flash memory at all, so they source it from other companies, usually whatever is cheapest, and have relatively little experience in solid state storage.

There are some other companies that have a lot of experience in solid state, from jumping on the bandwagon early, or having a good partnership with one of the three main reseller, like Crucial. Also, Intel has a flash memory fab of their own, and may source their own flash.

Not to say a WD flash drive is going to be the worst thing ever, and catch fire or anything like that, but... Well, there's a reason they're cheap.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wd blue ssd differences
  • Topic Archived