This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why the hell would Dark Souls 3 use 100% of my 1080ti?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#21
Few thoughts...

1.) If you're using any mods, disable them (especially graphics mods like "SweetFX" etc.)

2.) Try disabling any forced AA etc. in the Nvidia control panel

3.) The obligatory "verify your files in Steam"

4.) Upgrade/downgrade (if you're using a very new/beta driver) your GPU drivers.

5.) Disable any extra overlays if present like MSI Afterburner etc. as these occasionally can cause issues.

I'm assuming none of your other games are doing this? If this is a general problem it could be due to background programs/processes running and stealing CPU time periodically, an errant scheduled task, GPU/CPU temps or a nasty virus/piece of malware.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: gundamaniacx20a

gundamaniacx20a
1 month ago#22
TheBorderCollie posted...
farigonti posted...
Sorry bud a 1080ti isn’t gonna cut it at 4K

I run every other game at 4K, many with far greater technical demands, and I don't run into this problem with them.

Velius_ posted...
Stuttering sounds like a throttling issue. What kind of cooling are you using on your CPU?

The CPU is running on stock speed right now, with a Hyper 212 Evo on it. I don't think it's a CPU problem, though, since it never comes close to maxing out it's use....It's staying at about 57% usage when under full game load.

Oxn518 posted...
Sounds like hardware issue

Any ideas on what it could be? The CPU and RAM seem to be working OK. When it's acting up, the damn thing even hitches that bad on the title screen, when there is basically nothing to render.

If you are running a 4770k at stock, it might be bottlenecking the 1080ti at 4k. Try overclocking it a bit, or forcing it to run all cores at the max turbo.
PSN: RX--Zero
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/167749/

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#23
gundamaniacx20a posted...
TheBorderCollie posted...
farigonti posted...
Sorry bud a 1080ti isn’t gonna cut it at 4K

I run every other game at 4K, many with far greater technical demands, and I don't run into this problem with them.

Velius_ posted...
Stuttering sounds like a throttling issue. What kind of cooling are you using on your CPU?

The CPU is running on stock speed right now, with a Hyper 212 Evo on it. I don't think it's a CPU problem, though, since it never comes close to maxing out it's use....It's staying at about 57% usage when under full game load.

Oxn518 posted...
Sounds like hardware issue

Any ideas on what it could be? The CPU and RAM seem to be working OK. When it's acting up, the damn thing even hitches that bad on the title screen, when there is basically nothing to render.

If you are running a 4770k at stock, it might be bottlenecking the 1080ti at 4k. Try overclocking it a bit, or forcing it to run all cores at the max turbo.

Doubtful, the CPU only becomes a bottleneck (for most games) when you're trying to push out higher framerates at a lower resolution, if anything running at 4K pushes more of the load to the GPU.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: no2morro

no2morro
1 month ago#24
How much ram do you actually have?

My guess is it might be a virus scanner or defrag going on in the background slowing things down.

I have a 1080TI too, and I have no problems running DS3 at 4k with it. I'm running at i7 8660k (IIRC), which isn't exactly lightyears ahead of the 4770k (pretty much the same).

I'd probably look at your start up processes and see what you have in that...those miscellaneous processes really drag down your system sped and performance.

Suffice it to say, you should be able to run at 4k for Dark Souls 3. I've run more intensive games at 4k.

If getting stuttering after doing the above, turn down anti-aliasing...that's a resource hog (2x or 4x should be enough to tidy up what's on screen).
I am the instrument of providence, she will use me as long as I accomplish her designs, then...she will break me like a glass.

User Info: TheBorderCollie

TheBorderCollie
1 month ago#25
no2morro posted...
How much ram do you actually have?

My guess is it might be a virus scanner or defrag going on in the background slowing things down.

I have a 1080TI too, and I have no problems running DS3 at 4k with it. I'm running at i7 8660k (IIRC), which isn't exactly lightyears ahead of the 4770k (pretty much the same).

I'd probably look at your start up processes and see what you have in that...those miscellaneous processes really drag down your system sped and performance.

Suffice it to say, you should be able to run at 4k for Dark Souls 3. I've run more intensive games at 4k.

If getting stuttering after doing the above, turn down anti-aliasing...that's a resource hog (2x or 4x should be enough to tidy up what's on screen).

I have 16 GB of RAM. I've looked at that list of miscellaneous programs before and deleted a few out. Can you essentially stop all of them without causing any issues? I've noticed that Windows processes are listed separately.
I'm proud to acknowledge that unlike many on this site, I grow as a person and a gamer. Viewpoints change-especially after 3 years. http://imgur.com/VFDAFgN?r

User Info: no2morro

no2morro
1 month ago#26
The main ones that drag you down are the McAfee antivirus ones (very intrusive with resources) and the HDD scanners and the like. They can slow your system to a crawl.

If you want to play around with this, CCleaner is pretty good and just disable anything (in the startup processes menu) you think is an issue.

If your system is fine after that, you are good. If not, you can re-enable. The big thing is 'don't delete' start up programs.

For example, I think iTunes launcher needs to be there or it won't launch properly. Some printer software needs to be in start up. If you only have about 15 items in it, I wouldn't worry about it. This is mainly for people that have 50+.

If you have an antivirus, many of them now have 'game mode' which will halt all background processes.

Bottomline though, DS3 can do 4k with a 1080TI. I assure you of that. That's not a graphics intensive game. Maybe clean registry and see if that helps (CCleaner can do that). I doubt it, but its worth a shot.

16gb is plenty though...you should be running like lighting.

Also, I wouldn't stop background programs with task manager or anything like that...you shouldn't need to. You just need to identify what's the system hog. It could even be your Windows Update draining all your downloads and basically sidelining your program operations until that's done. I've had that before too.

Suffice it to say, your hardware is good enough.
I am the instrument of providence, she will use me as long as I accomplish her designs, then...she will break me like a glass.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why the hell would Dark Souls 3 use 100% of my 1080ti?
  • Topic Archived