This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone miss CRT monitors?

User Info: BeuclairDrunk

BeuclairDrunk
5 days ago#1
I feel CRT monitors had much better blacks and higher refresh rates to modern LCD monitors. I also liked how the top of a CRT monitor could be used as a shelf for more games, soft drinks, etc.

I wish there were still companies that sold CRT monitors. I remember NEC had a 22 inch CRT monitor that was amazing.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
5 days ago#2
No , flickering hurts my eyes. As far as refresh rate goes my lcd is 180hz and i dont need that high.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Heracylost

Heracylost
5 days ago#3
No, I like the clarity and not 60 pound monitors.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it. Lemmy Kilmister

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
5 days ago#4
I miss degaussing. I just want a button that mimics degauss but does nothing.
R7 1800X|570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Rud3Bwoy Caught Scamming-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

User Info: somebody336

somebody336
5 days ago#5
Definitely. It's inconvenient for me to get one atm, but I would love to play older games on them again.
Forever stuck in the past.
http://www.336gamereviews.com/

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
5 days ago#6
There are things I miss about CRTs, but I can't really use them anymore, since the flickering at the edge of my peripheral vision is super nasty.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
5 days ago#7
Heracylost posted...
No, I like the clarity and not 60 pound monitors.

+1

User Info: dunebeetle

dunebeetle
5 days ago#8
Honestly the only thing holding CRT's from ever making a comeback is the weight. Some TV's were so heavy they would probably be deemed illegal in today's age.
http://vimeo.com/22145707#

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 days ago#9
BeuclairDrunk posted...
I feel CRT monitors had much better blacks

I'm not sure I agree there. They often had great *contrast*, but the screens actually looked kind of gray even when they were completely off, so I don't know about better blacks. If there was a CRT out there with a truly black screen (while it's off), then yes, it would have better blacks, since on CRT, no light is generated from black pixels, while on LCD, the backlight is simply being blocked. OLED is superior in that case though, because it also has true blacks (no light emitted, rather than light being blocked).

BeuclairDrunk posted...
and higher refresh rates to modern LCD monitors

I don't know about this either - the majority of CRTs were still around 60-80Hz or so, although there were some that could go much higher. I don't recall any CRTs that were up in the 144+ range though, although that could just be that I never owned one.

The big advantage I remember CRTs having is response times were much higher (not the same thing as refresh rate), they could handle a wide variety of resolutions while looking better than LCD did (no worries about "native" resolution and stuff), no dead pixels, etc.

Honestly though, I don't miss them. They were huge, bulky, heavy, hard to move or organize space for, and current LCD tech has much better brightness, contrast, and more vivid colors.

I did have a fantastic little 13" CRT that could literally display any resolution and refresh rate combo you threw at it - my roommate at the time would always borrow it because he kept trying to find better resolution combos for his crappy monitor, and would inevitably create an out-of-range problem that would blank his monitor, so he'd plug mine in, and it just worked. Every single time, no matter what settings he chose. Even then though, it was bulky and heavy for a 13" screen, and I don't exactly miss it.

EDIT:

And the #1 biggest reason I'm GLAD we don't have CRTs any more - that damn 60Hz flicker. I *hated* staring at the screen typing in Word or something where most of the screen was white, because I always got headaches from seeing it constantly flicker at 60Hz. LCDs don't have the flicker refresh problem, so they're fine even at 60Hz.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
5 days ago#10
They certainly had the best picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast compared to a monitor... You cannot get the same picture quality today out of a monitor that you can with an OLED, or even a 1080p plasma.
Combo Master
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone miss CRT monitors?