This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you say Mass Effect 1 is worth playing today?

User Info: Raile

Raile
4 weeks ago#1
I'm recommending games to a newer gamer, Mass Effect series is on my list of must plays. However, I only played 2 and 3 myself. I'm debating whether to recommend this person start with 1, or 2. Is the storyline...worthwhile? I want to say I already know it's not essential, but I'm not sure about that. I can't recall if I was left confused by missing plot threads or not tbh, and it's been several years now. Could probably replay the whole series and be just as lost as him at this point.

Although I imagine I wouldn't have played 2 if I thought 1 was relevant in the first place...unless I thought it was likely to be boring when I first started. Idk. Title.

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
4 weeks ago#2
The gameplay in ME1 is rough by today's standards, but the story and lore is better than in the other two games IMO. I'd say it's worth a play through. At least give it a try and see if you can deal with the gameplay (I find it tolerable, actually just finished a run a few weeks ago.)
---

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
4 weeks ago#3
ME1 is the most rpg of the bunch, so if that's the kind of gameplay you like, it's actually the best.

And it has the awesome Mako sections. No idea why they got rid of them; cruising in the Mako was the best part.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: Wiseius

Wiseius
4 weeks ago#4
I haven't see another sci-fi game hook me in with its worldbuilding quite like Mass Effect 1. One of the few downsides are the Mako-focused side missions if you're trying to 100% the game. Other than that I think you can appreciate the story/characters even if you've played 2/3.
\m/

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
4 weeks ago#5
If you ask me its totally worth playing today. Its the most rpg/loot focused of the games. Though without question it isn't as modern day player friendly as 2/3. Still a great game that has a lot of heart, and depth in story/gameplay.

Just go in with a open mind and not let the gameplay of 2/3 jade your enjoyment of 1 especially early game when your geared to suck a bit haha.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
4 weeks ago#6
I think the first one is the only one worth playing.
Biware was still trying at that point, and were making good games , instead of propaganda games
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI 6GB GTX 1060 /

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
4 weeks ago#7
ME1 is shabby but solid. Its inventory system is atrocious to manage, some dialogue choices are literally the same voice clips, mako combat sucks on high difficulties (you spend more time hiding and waiting for repair regen to kick in than fighting), and the story ends off on an undeservedly inconclusive note. But if you're gonna recommend the trilogy, it never hurts starting at the beginning.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: KingKilvas

KingKilvas
4 weeks ago#8
I started playing the Mass Effect trilogy for the very first time this year. I can't speak to how it plays on PC, since I played it on my Xbox 360, but I absolutely loved it. I honestly can't imagine starting Mass Effect 2 without playing the first one. The experience of being thrust into this brand-new science fiction world was amazing. Also, I had no trouble with the gameplay aside from the weird inventory menus, though I can understand why people complain about it when compared to the sequels.
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!

User Info: BMXJouster

BMXJouster
4 weeks ago#9
I still think Mass Effect 1 was the best of the series so yeah I'd say it's worth playing.
Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives
"One embarrassing clown's quest for the ultimate case of diarrhea."

User Info: Raile

Raile
4 weeks ago#10
Alright, sounds like I may as well recommend starting from othe first, and just tell him to skip to 2 if it feels too ancient to enjoy with its clunky inventory. Definitely going to see about arranging some quick mods though, and I might even buy it for myself and see what I missed out on originally.

Thanks for the opinions.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you say Mass Effect 1 is worth playing today?
  • Topic Archived