This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does anyone know what causes Black screen crashes with games?

User Info: HolySage

HolySage
3 months ago#1
After playing something for 10 minutes or so my screen goes black, makes a buzzing noise, and i have to force restart or it may restart it self it only did this in rare cases but today it's happen about 6 times, it won't let me play anything without a black or white screen crash for long,

it's done this before, but only months apart. i'm not sure what's causing it.

It's windows 10, btw.
Judgment thou must face, Thine own hell.

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 months ago#2
Mine ended up being GPU related. Once I replaced it, haven’t had a black screen crash since
http://folding.stanford.edu
Fight disease using your computer

HolySage
3 months ago#3
How did you find out?

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
3 months ago#4
If your PC stays on, and the only thing that happens is that your monitor goes black and the LED that shows the monitor status starts flashing from 'on' (green) to off (orange/red), it is probably your GPU crashing. If it was your power supply, your entire PC would shut down.

BTW, if any other hardware part were to catastrophically fail, your PC would also shut down. So it's kind of easy to pinpoint your GPU.

As a sidenote, do you also use software that influences your graphics? Like, f.lux? f.lux has caused a lot of GPU f***-ups for me when I was playing graphically demanding games. I have to turn it off if I want my triple monitor setup and play a graphically demanding game and watch a Twitch stream on the side.
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG

HolySage
3 months ago#5
-GhosT- posted...
If your PC stays on, and the only thing that happens is that your monitor goes black and the LED that shows the monitor status starts flashing from 'on' (green) to off (orange/red), it is probably your GPU crashing. If it was your power supply, your entire PC would shut down.

Well, i guess it isn't the power supply, because it stays on, cause i have to force restart, but i'm trying to find out if it really is the card, or rather, what else COULD it be.

-GhosT-
3 months ago#6
read my edit notes in the previous post

-GhosT-
3 months ago#7
what GPU are you using, how old is it, how many things do you have plugged into it, what are you watching on your monitors when it happens, etc?:

HolySage
3 months ago#8
Nope, the only thing that may be related is i have night mode on, but again, my pc was fine, up untill today, it only did it once a few months ago 2-3 times then stopped, i forgot what i did exactly.

-GhosT-
3 months ago#9
try removing night mode on. still, my questions are very important to pinpoint the situation in which your graphical display would just up and die.

Please answer the questions I put in the previous post so we can pinpoint anything that could be a problem.

HolySage
3 months ago#10
an nvidia 1050 Ti i'm usually just playing a game and just during it, it will freeze and restart, does not happen with anything else except the games i play. nothing else is plugged into it. and night mode wasn't actually activated yet as that only happens at 9 my time.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does anyone know what causes Black screen crashes with games?
  • Topic Archived