This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. brother gave me a laptop from 2012 with a dead hard drive

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
3 months ago#21
I am dumber for having read this thread.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll

User Info: bustedknuckles1

bustedknuckles1
3 months ago#22
MacrossSpecial posted...
I am dumber for having read this thread.

Yeah probably lol
DYIPC Gamermax-w / MSI Z270 sli plus / G-skills 32gb DDR4 3200 / i-7 7700K / Hyper evo 212 / MSI RX 580 gaming X / Evga 750 supernova

User Info: Conker

Conker
3 months ago#23
unknown_VS posted...
bustedknuckles1 posted...
If u never installed windows 10

I find it very hard to believe people, especially about tech, or engage with them if they can't even read properly. I've said in this very thread I installed windows (several times, like 99% of users here I'd wager)

And funny enough I've worked in a "laptop repair shop" and we had to install drivers often because windows didn't install them (usually from the manufacturer website sometimes it finds them from device manager)

So yeah, you are and I know it.
Nothing you say adds up.

Conversation has ended.

I’ll back the guy that said he’s had no problems or very minor that couldn’t be auto-updated through device manager.

I have only fresh installed Win10 on two laptops I put new SSDs in but both times once I setup the network connection everything worked without issue.

There were one or two default device drivers I chose to install separately for compatibility guarantees but the basic functionality was there initially.

Sure, that’s a small sample size but for any recent laptop and OS install, I really can’t see where additional problems would come from for essential functionality.

For reference, the models were an Asus 13” R2 from early 2015 (only custom things to install such as Alienware’s eGPU/FX software, the custom keyboard and touchpad software, GeForce Experience which is optional, etc...it worked fine without any of that stuff).

The other a Sony Vaio Flip 13.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
3 months ago#24
lol at people in thread making it seem difficult to find laptop drivers. literally goto man. website, type in model, dl drivers.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: Roxborough4Ever

Roxborough4Ever
3 months ago#25
iemerg_ posted...
lol at people in thread making it seem difficult to find laptop drivers. literally goto man. website, type in model, dl drivers.

spoken like somebody who hasnt had to do it for themselves....goodluck, i go to the official site and the pages are GONE....so now what smart guy? you claim you got all the awsners? so now what bro? just do what i said and find me a program that does it automatically or dont f***ing post.
You feast on red herring because it is your birthright.

User Info: Conker

Conker
3 months ago#26
Roxborough4Ever posted...
iemerg_ posted...

spoken like somebody who hasnt had to do it for themselves....goodluck, i go to the official site and the pages are GONE....so now what smart guy? you claim you got all the awsners? so now what bro? just do what i said and find me a program that does it automatically or dont f***ing post.

Why so hostile?(Edit: that post wasn’t directed at you, either...just people saying we’re liers or it’s not possible to get a laptop working through Windows install and updating drivers)

Device manager and updating the drivers works for most essentials. What specifically are you having trouble with? Updating the driver through device manager worked automatically for me, and if that didn’t work for a couple items you can search for Windows drivers that may be compatible.

I had no problems in regards to keyboard, touchpad, touchscreen, display, intel graphics, networking, bluetooth, USB, etc. to get everything functioning.

What specifically is not working? Is it showing as “Unknown” under device manager?
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: mikey_205

mikey_205
3 months ago#27
Windows 10 is great for finding drivers on desktops too. Was upgrading my wifes computer. Due to an issue with RAID arrays (my ignorance) I had to mess around a bit and switched back to 7 briefly. Wireless adaptor worked perfectly straight away in 10 but in 7 had to install manually.

Once I got 10 working properly I only had to really get the driver for her graphics card. And it was working fine even then just maybe not optimely.
Pokemon X FC 4940-6875-7569

User Info: Zachnorn

Zachnorn
3 months ago#28
I use this at work.

https://sdi-tool.org/

Admittedly, I've never had to set it up since a tech a few levels above me gave me a flash drive with it on it, so I'm not sure if it's hard (I doubt it's difficult). It works pretty well and just installs the drivers you need without much fuss.
<D

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
3 months ago#29
Zachnorn posted...
I use this at work.

https://sdi-tool.org/

Admittedly, I've never had to set it up since a tech a few levels above me gave me a flash drive with it on it, so I'm not sure if it's hard (I doubt it's difficult). It works pretty well and just installs the drivers you need without much fuss.

Did a quick check, apparently this version contains malware / adware.

Otherwise this seems like an ok solution.

Conker posted...
that post wasn’t directed at you, either...just people saying we’re liers or it’s not possible to get a laptop working through Windows install and updating drivers

You're also suffering from reading comprehension difficulties it would seem. Where did I say that, I didn't even talk to you.

I installed enough windows 10 installs on laptops to know what to think if someone tells me they installed win 10 on "50 laptops" and never an issue finding drivers or with the install itself.

Also I posted evidence of the programs and drivers I had to manually install on my laptop *after* windows wasn't able to find any of those. Especially that Intel storage management driver is beyond me how it didn't find that as it tremendously speed up the laptop...

Can you find the picture or do I need to rehost??

Roxborough4Ever posted...
iemerg_ posted...

Also a lot of OEMs simply don't have all the necessary drivers, they expect you to download them from Intel or Microsoft instead.
Lenovo is super bad about this in my experience for example.
J-Pop

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
3 months ago#30
110% of percentages on the internet are made up on the spot.
Rig: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16 GB RAM
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba9d412c253f22d44f44687807b4e7ac/tenor.gif
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. brother gave me a laptop from 2012 with a dead hard drive
  • Topic Archived