This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is it worth to go from 16 gig 2400mhz to 16 gig 3200 mhz? NOOB i am

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
1 month ago#11
Yes. Both Intel and AMD benefit significantly from the frequency speeds. If you combine them, you'll lose speed because timings and frequencies are going to drop to your lowest frequency and highest timings.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#12
godplaysSNES posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
This is incorrect. Intel CPUs have gotten large gains from faster memory for ages. AMD CPUs, afaik, didn't benefit much from faster RAM prior to Ryzen because they were just that slow.Zen+ didn't fix that, it just improved latency and memory compatibility.

It also comes down to people drawing too strong conclusions by just seeing tests of today's games, not thinking at all about possible advantages long-term.

Go back to the Sandy Bridge era and you'll also see that the general consensus was that it was next to worthless to pay extra for faster RAM, but you see a significant gain in today's games.

I do confess that back in the day, I also said it wasn't worth paying extra for faster RAM, but today you see e.g. Digitalfoundry showing how beneficial it is a few years later.

Yeah I didn't start to recommend higher end kits until playing older games on Sandy Bridge. Memory latency is just one of those things. Especially since CPUs get faster more than RAM does.
I wonder when we'll get quad channel memory in the consumer space?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#13
Ye I'm also curious if quad channel is going to be pushed onto consumers sometime soon.

I've also wanted to see tests with triple/quad channel vs dual channel in today's games, Nehalem and possibly also the older SB-E should be slow enough to make any advantage seen.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#14
Tests on Haswell back in 2015 suggest it had a negative impact on gaming if any at all, but with Ryzen and many-threaded processors becoming the norm, one could assume quad channel would provide a legitimate benefit to gaming.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: beny_pimpster

beny_pimpster
1 month ago#15
ah man should have went with 2x8 gig instead of 1 x 16 gigs ah well........wait ah minuite if i buy another stick its like buying a new graphics card like 1060-1070 the regular glax/ zotacs lmao
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is it worth to go from 16 gig 2400mhz to 16 gig 3200 mhz? NOOB i am
  • Topic Archived