This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is it worth to go from 16 gig 2400mhz to 16 gig 3200 mhz? NOOB i am

User Info: beny_pimpster

beny_pimpster
1 month ago#1
or go for broke a 16 gig 2400mhz combo with 16 gig 3200mhz

PS: my board can support upto 3200 mhz and go for 32 gig

thanks for helping the noob :D

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
1 month ago#2
What CPU? Only first gen ryzen's get a large boost from ram speeds. That was corrected to my knowledge in Zen+. You do get minor gains from upgrading, so minor that it's not worth spending money on.
R7 1800X|570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|https://imgtc.com/5X8INE2|http://bit.do/32x2zPC|

User Info: doughnutman

doughnutman
1 month ago#3
Not really worth the increase really. Only minor benefits for gaming.

Also dont pair a 3200mhz kit with a 2400mhz kit. Get two of the same kits. Or find something that has timings and frequencies that match what you currently have.
Gamertag: Ravaged Osiris PSN: ArsenicJoker
Maximus X Code - i5 8700k 5.1 Ghz OC - RTX 2080 FE - 32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz

User Info: HypnoCoosh

HypnoCoosh
1 month ago#4
Money better spent elsewhere.
We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. - C.S. Lewis

User Info: ganondorf77

ganondorf77
1 month ago#5
No
Bu!

beny_pimpster
1 month ago#6
my friends.....thank you all for the help :)

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
1 month ago#7
Not as an upgrade, no. You'd get a bigger performance boost by buying a better heatsink and overclocking tbh.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

beny_pimpster
1 month ago#8
reincarnator07 posted...
Not as an upgrade, no. You'd get a bigger performance boost by buying a better heatsink and overclocking tbh.

yeah but OW aka over watch hates over clock hahaha it crashes

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#9
32x2z posted...
What CPU? Only first gen ryzen's get a large boost from ram speeds. That was corrected to my knowledge in Zen+. You do get minor gains from upgrading, so minor that it's not worth spending money on.

This is incorrect. Intel CPUs have gotten large gains from faster memory for ages. AMD CPUs, afaik, didn't benefit much from faster RAM prior to Ryzen because they were just that slow.
Zen+ didn't fix that, it just improved latency and memory compatibility.

doughnutman posted...
Not really worth the increase really. Only minor benefits for gaming.

Also dont pair a 3200mhz kit with a 2400mhz kit. Get two of the same kits. Or find something that has timings and frequencies that match what you currently have.

Getting a higher rated kit is fine, but it won't operate at 3200mhz with the kit you currently have unless your current kit overclocks.
It's 33% faster, but depending on the latency, you won't likely see that kind of scaling. Latency tends to scale much better than bandwidth in games, but nobody really talks about it for some reason.

beny_pimpster posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

yeah but OW aka over watch hates over clock hahaha it crashes

That's not because Overwatch hates overclocks, it's because your overclock isn't stable. Increase voltage or lower clockspeed until it is.
There's no magic to overclocking, if it's stable it's the same but faster, if it's not then some operation somewhere will throw an error sometimes.

Not every CPU overclocks well. Ryzen 1000/2000 series especially just don't.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#10
DarkZV2Beta posted...
This is incorrect. Intel CPUs have gotten large gains from faster memory for ages. AMD CPUs, afaik, didn't benefit much from faster RAM prior to Ryzen because they were just that slow.Zen+ didn't fix that, it just improved latency and memory compatibility.

It also comes down to people drawing too strong conclusions by just seeing tests of today's games, not thinking at all about possible advantages long-term.

Go back to the Sandy Bridge era and you'll also see that the general consensus was that it was next to worthless to pay extra for faster RAM, but you see a significant gain in today's games.

I do confess that back in the day, I also said it wasn't worth paying extra for faster RAM, but today you see e.g. Digitalfoundry showing how beneficial it is a few years later.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is it worth to go from 16 gig 2400mhz to 16 gig 3200 mhz? NOOB i am
  • Topic Archived