This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. AMD should bring back Dual Graphics.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#1
Dual Graphics lets you Crossfire your dedicated Graphics Card with your CPU's onboard GPU. It's was pretty "meh" back in the old days when AMD supported it, but with the impressive performance of the Ryzen APUs and the new upcoming AMD cards it could become a potential game-changer. It'd be great for the consumer because they'd be getting additional graphical power at no additional cost, and great for AMD because it would incentivize people to buy both their CPU and GPU from AMD.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|8GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
1 month ago#2
I remember making a thread back in 2012, detailing my performance with the A4-3400 and the A4-3400 with a 6570 (overclocked, I had 75+mhz on her core in the old catalyst overdrive) 2gb in dual graphics. The performance was impressive and it turned BF3 from a 720 low game to a 1080p med game. I was impressed and the increased pixels/details was great. I think AMD doesn't have the support it needs for dual graphics.

If they're gonna go dual graphics, they should at least optimize M-GPU alongside with it. DX12 kinda prevents all of this since the profiles are made by the developers and developers just don't care. There's no reason to make games look super amazing for a 2080ti in SLI or a Vega/Fury in M-GPU when it's designed for a 1060 at best performance GPU is probably what developers are thinking.
R7 1800X|570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|https://imgtc.com/5X8INE2|http://bit.do/32x2zPC|

User Info: Pox

Pox
1 month ago#3
They already did bring it back. It exists in Vulkan and DX12, developer's just need to add support.
Hokay so, here is ze Gamefaqs...

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
1 month ago#4
Pox posted...
They already did bring it back. It exists in Vulkan and DX12, developer's just need to add support.

Hence, never going to happen. For the small percentage of persons who have dual graphics, or multiple graphics, it's not worth the development time or cost.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: abaddon41_80

abaddon41_80
1 month ago#5
It was a cool idea five or six years ago but, as others have stated, developers are not going to do it. I think that is why AMD shifted from pushing the APUs like they were doing when they first came out. In 2012, it seemed like they were going to push everything to that but recently they have scaled back their offerings in the category.
I HATE ALEX SMITH

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
1 month ago#6
AMD should bring back ATi

:/
J-Pop

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#7
Dual Graphics was a way to make use of the integrated GPU in budget systems. It was a budget solution to get better graphics performance. Overall, it did work, but it only works between the integrated GPU and an equivalent discrete GPU of its class.

This really doesn't work out today anymore like Dual Graphics did. The integrated GPU is no match for a decent discrete GPU. If you are going to add a GPU, it will overpower the integrated GPU too much.

Honestly, you don't want graphics processing on the CPU die if you can help it, unless there is HBM RAM equipped on die for the integrated GPU. GPUs wreck memory bandwidth.

On the Vulkan/DX12 and etc front, multi-GPU is better handled when the graphics engine supports it. That doesn't mean that generic modes can't be created.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
1 month ago#8
lightningbugx posted...
Dual Graphics was a way to make use of the integrated GPU in budget systems. It was a budget solution to get better graphics performance. Overall, it did work, but it only works between the integrated GPU and an equivalent discrete GPU of its class.

This really doesn't work out today anymore like Dual Graphics did. The integrated GPU is no match for a decent discrete GPU. If you are going to add a GPU, it will overpower the integrated GPU too much.

Honestly, you don't want graphics processing on the CPU die if you can help it, unless there is HBM RAM equipped on die for the integrated GPU. GPUs wreck memory bandwidth.

On the Vulkan/DX12 and etc front, multi-GPU is better handled when the graphics engine supports it. That doesn't mean that generic modes can't be created.

It would work perfectly fine for my i5 940mx laptop then, because the "dedicated" graphics are barely any stronger than the on chip one lol.
J-Pop

User Info: load

load
1 month ago#9
I remember reading a few years back that they were basically gonna make a gpu module type thing where you can plug in multiple cards that didn't have to be the same and it would all be recognized as a single gpu so it wouldn't have the downsides of sli/ crossfire.. wonder what happened with that
Halo pc 4 life
TGRI saves lives

User Info: Pox

Pox
1 month ago#10
load posted...
I remember reading a few years back that they were basically gonna make a gpu module type thing where you can plug in multiple cards that didn't have to be the same and it would all be recognized as a single gpu so it wouldn't have the downsides of sli/ crossfire.. wonder what happened with that

That's pretty much the Vulkan/DX12 feature we're talking about. Again, just needs dev support. I know a lot of people think the feature was DoA, but there's still hope. Remember when tessellation was the next big thing in DX11? It only took about 5 years after DX11 came out before games actually started using it. There needs to be some sort of driving force to drive adoption. Right now, we see major increases in GPU power when there's a smaller die process (see Nvidia and AMD moving towards 7nm processes). 7nm is the theoretical limit to how small you can make a transistor with silicone before you get quantum tunneling between transistors that prevents the transistors from functioning properly. It's already possible to create smaller transistors with other materials, but this is still experimental and costly. Since I don't see increasing requirements from games/applications/media stopping anytime soon, the cheaper, short-term solution would be to utilize dual graphics.
Hokay so, here is ze Gamefaqs...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. AMD should bring back Dual Graphics.
  • Topic Archived