This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Redragon keyboards any good?

User Info: MoToX20

MoToX20
3 years ago#1
Looking to get a new gaming KB and am looking at Corsair and Redragon, I’m just not familiar with Redragon. I’m liking some of the RD’s, they have all the important stuff; mechanical, macros, anti-ghosting, USB pass through, etc but the low price makes me worry about quality, so if anyone in the know about RD can let me know, I’d appreciate it.

I’m looking at the RD K563 Surya, K550 and K555-R models(links were too long)

If you have any suggestions for any other brands(except Razer.....) I’m all ears, well all eyes cause well...you know....lol. Prefer RGB, built new PC and went with the RGB trend this time, and don’t want to spend more than $100.

Thanks for any and all advice.
There's no such thing as a Saint without a past, or a sinner without a future.
The truly wise man always has more questions than answers.

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
3 years ago#2
My brother uses it and it's still holding up well for 1 year now.
Diablo Immortal!

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 years ago#3
Red Dragon have good and cheap keyboards. At least some of them. I looked into them a few years ago and they had Cherry (or Cherry compatible) keyboards for a lot lower price that other competitors. However, they also had their very own mechanical keyboards and I don't like non-generic ones - it makes you too reliable on a single source for potential replacements.

Still, if you don't mind that, then I am fairly sure you can go with any single mechanical keyboard. The "keyboard technology", if you will, hasn't really changed much - we already know how to press a button and get the correct output efficiently, so any keyboard that supports anti-ghosting/NKRO would work pretty much the same as any other. The thing that gaming keyboards offer is either
- aesthetics like LEDs that might even be programmable and light up in patterns
- extra keys for macros and such

Besides that, a mechanical keyboard can have different types of switches - the most common ones are the Cherry MX Brown and Blue. They are colour coded but actually have different physical characteristics basically blue ones are noisier as they make a physical click sound when they engage, while browns don't have a click and thus are quieter. Both will emit a sound if you bottom them out, so the key cap hits the keyboard but the key signal is sent before you reach that point, hence you don't need to press a button all the way down for it to work.

Some gaming companies also make their own types of switches - they usually label them with colours but they aren't actually Cherry ones and have different characteristics. So, you might find a Razer Blue switch which will have different characteristics than a Cherry MX Blue. Whether or not it matters, depends. For me, it does, since typing on one type of switch and then another (e.g., at home and work) is annoying - I prefer to have the same experience in both cases and the Cherry vs non-Cherry switches feel different. On the other hand, since gaming keyboard manufacturers don't need to use Cherry switches or be compatible, they can tweak the "feel" of the keyboard more - make pressing it harder, softer, or change how much you need to press a key to engage. They can vary the tactile and audible feedback from a using a keyboard. But that means if you get used to one, it's going to be awkward using another. You won't forget how to type or anything but it can be annoying - every single time you press a key. Also, if you have a problem with the keyboard - with Cherry MX switches, you can just take the one that has a problem and change it by getting it from absolutely anywhere. A proprietary switch has to come from the manufacturer and might not even be easily changeable.

Since I prefer my keyboards for typing (I don't care about lights), I avoid gaming ones. By the way, if you are looking for a maybe cheaper mechanical keyboard with generic switches, you can try Kailh (often mistyped as Kalih) ones. They are compatible to Cherry MX switches and you can even change one with the other, if you want. Furthermore, they have very similar characteristics when typing - a Kailh Brown switch and a Cherry MX Brown feel almost the same. I've a pair with Cherry MX and Kailh myself and I have no problem switching over from one to the other.
The owls are not what they seem.

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 years ago#4
Redragon makes okayish boards. They aren't bad, but generally are about the quality you'd expect for the price you are paying. Usually they use Outemu switches, which use to be junk, but are now a solid budget switch. Many of these switches are mounted in a socket now so they can be easily changed if one breaks. Most other brands need to be soldered in.

Qualitywise, you can find RD boards with a metal plate so they are good and stiff. The shells will often be basic ABS plastic and usually a bit to a lot gamery in design. That is their target audience. Keycaps are standard ABS so nothing fancy at all there. Cables tend to be vinyl clad and permanently attached. Some other brands offer braided cables that are removable. Overall they are solid boards for the money, but pretty much just like every other budget Chinese board.

Software is kind of weak. Also just like most budget Chinese boards. Most software will only run on Windows and generally offers the only way to fully customize lighting profiles. Big name brands like Corsair definitely have better software for their boards.

Corsair makes good boards. They tend to be a little over priced for what you are getting. Many of them also have non-standard bottom rows, which make changing the keycaps to something custom a hassle. You have to specifically find the right size caps for them.

Coolermaster actually makes some of the best mechs for the price range and usually have standard configurations that are easy to customize. Other brands like Ducky or Leopold and top of the line, but their price often reflects that.

As far as switches Cherry and Gateron are generally the best you can get. Topre is also very good, but not technically a mechanical switch. There are also a lot of custom switches, and other clones on the market now.

User Info: Mad_Mike86

Mad_Mike86
3 years ago#5
I'm a budget guy and I like mine. Way better then a cheap membrane for me. Haven't used any other mechanical though.
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 years ago#6
https://youtu.be/Gp9i3zm_64A

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 years ago#7
How's their K551 keyboard? Looking to replace the keyboard I spilled on.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|16GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 years ago#8
I find redragon to be high quality for its asking price. There are better options, but often quite higher priced.

For regular users, i'd say they are good products.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Redragon keyboards any good?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A