This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are old Steam games still so pricey?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#51
DiviDude posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
I love a good old semantics duel.

You know you're dealing with a class-A s***bag when they try to tell another person what the other person actually meant.

What are you going on about? He literally asked me to say what I thought he actually meant.

Might be interesting to find out what you think I'd be advocating if I said [...]

So spare us your sanctimony.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#52
The cranky hermit posted...
Saying "it's a pirate the DLC sort of game" on the other hand leaves no room for ambiguity.

Which makes it a mystery why you're construing a statement of one's opinion on the value of a game and/or its monetization as an order/directive to do something illegal. Just mentioning piracy doesn't do it, even if you do so as part of your opinion as to the worth of something.

The cranky hermit posted...
DiviDude posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
I love a good old semantics duel.

You know you're dealing with a class-A s***bag when they try to tell another person what the other person actually meant.

What are you going on about? He literally asked me to say what I thought he actually meant.

Might be interesting to find out what you think I'd be advocating if I said [...]

So spare us your sanctimony.

/facepalm

A statement is not a question, and saying that something might be interesting does not invite or require others to satisfy your curiosity. I'm particularly thankful for that last fact given how many times I've said that something potentially or outright unpopular, immoral, or even illegal might be interesting such as tying a breeding license in with the driver's license and three strikes means you get sterilized.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#53
Marikhen posted...
Which makes it a mystery why you're construing a statement of one's opinion on the value of a game and/or its monetization as an order/directive to do something illegal. Just mentioning piracy doesn't do it, even if you do so as part of your opinion as to the worth of something.

Might want to read my statement again. Here, I'll help you:
Here's your problem. You're judging the value of a game based on the assumption that you have a right to pirate it if you don't feel like paying.
No part of that statement mentioned an "order/directive." That was something you brought up, not me.

A statement is not a question, and saying that something might be interesting does not invite or require others to satisfy your curiosity.

It doesn't? I really don't see any meaningful difference between "it would be interesting to hear what you think" and "please tell me what you think."

It would be interesting (not really) to know why you would say to me, "might be interesting to find out what you think."
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
1 month ago#54
sonic_c_tail posted...
http://www.enhancedsteam.com/blog/?p=256

It's dead jim. Will end up getting broke sooner or later.

Yeah, some parts of it will eventually like the gpu surveys since you can't submit them anymore, but the relevant part (convenience for seeing best discount prices) still works perfectly. Short of some overhaul on how Steam handles storepages, will probably still keep working for a good long time.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
1 month ago#55
The thing is, "warehousing" digital content is easy, it's just a question of making it available through a client and being able to provide a valid cd-key. I don't agree with older games being highly priced but from a business standpoint... you may not move as many units if it was 1/4 or 1/2 price but people will still buy it at a higher price -- slowly... but they move.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: OrgeLambart

OrgeLambart
1 month ago#56
Alien Isolation has been super cheap from time to time.. just need to seek out other stores.. I've been included in the Humble Monthly for 12 bucks with a bunch of other games, with Alien as one of the early reveal games..

I'm pretty sure it's always been sub 10 dollars on Greenmangaming and likely Humble who tends to offer up their monthly games after the fact at 10 - 15 dollar range.. Pretty sure it's always been greatly discounted on Fanatical as well..
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
1 month ago#57
JKatarn posted...
Why are some books/movies etc. more expensive than others? Ask the publishers...Steam is just a distribution platform, they don't mandate the prices that publishers choose to sell their games at. Also, with a digital "good", there's no need to drop prices because there's no concern about stock sitting on a shelf taking up space etc.

I wish more people understood this, it seems that people think that Valve is the master of all prices and the developers just bow down to their will. Like Valve is the one that says this game gets a 50% off and this game gets a 20% off during sales. The only games Valve controls as far as prices go are Valve games!
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Elaina, Bjorn+Linlin, Tsovinar

User Info: Teen Girl Squad

Teen Girl Squad
1 month ago#58
Monopoman posted...
JKatarn posted...
Why are some books/movies etc. more expensive than others? Ask the publishers...Steam is just a distribution platform, they don't mandate the prices that publishers choose to sell their games at. Also, with a digital "good", there's no need to drop prices because there's no concern about stock sitting on a shelf taking up space etc.

I wish more people understood this, it seems that people think that Valve is the master of all prices and the developers just bow down to their will. Like Valve is the one that says this game gets a 50% off and this game gets a 20% off during sales. The only games Valve controls as far as prices go are Valve games!

This. Also, at some point, putting a game on sale no longer provides a benefit (increased sales, larger audience etc...) so discounting more no longer makes sense. For example, I kept on waiting for Skyrim to reach a certain price, ignorant of how long its legs were going to be, and because it kept on selling, they no longer had to keep driving the pricing down.

The 'demise' of the Steam sale is often blamed on Valve, refunds etc... but what really happened was that the PC market matured. Rather than being a port dump that got fire sale prices, publishers started to take PC gaming seriously and now price more intelligently (in terms of maximizing sales/profits).
"Rest of league playing checkers, Chargers playing E-Sports." Drug_Smoker.

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
1 month ago#59
Some games also rarely discount their overpriced DLC too.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
Come visit The Range http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1003-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are old Steam games still so pricey?
  • Topic Archived