This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how do laptop GPUs compare to desktop ones?

User Info: Romulox28

Romulox28
4 weeks ago#1
As I get older, I find it increasingly more and more appealing to "downsize" my possessions, to free up some storage space (and headspace).

Right now I have a laptop I use for any kind of mobile needs, and a gaming desktop. What I'm thinking of doing is more or less ditching them both and getting a lightweight gaming laptop to cover home & away.

One thing that worries me is the performance of the GPU. I don't really play intensive games anymore (mostly anything with Blizzard stamped on it and the occasional PUBG match) so I don't need cutting edge performance, but I want something that will hold up.

If my laptop has, for example, a 1060 in it, how does that compare to a desktop class GPU? In theory, if my laptop had 16GB of RAM, the latest i7, and a 1060, would it perform exactly the same as a desktop PC with those same specs, or am I missing something here?
http://i.imgur.com/LhwwG.gif

User Info: ATARIJAWA

ATARIJAWA
4 weeks ago#2
laptops use desktop gpus now. you don't have A 1060m like you would have had a few years ago that were much weaker than the desktop versions. You have a slightly modified desktop 1060.
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 127

User Info: Bossdog421

Bossdog421
4 weeks ago#3
The line is gone now.

The only real downsides to laptops are:

You'll pay a little more for portability (not as much as it used to be)
Heat can be an issue (I have never had overheating issues with Sager though)
Not really upgradable, so there is even more cost increase when it's time to upgrade (you'll need a new laptop)
New GPUs wont be released right away for laptops (no 2080 for laptops yet)
Theres a little place where the sun sleeps late. Pours himself a shot of tequila.
Its a little place called Pleasure Island. Thats where Id like to feel ya.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#4
Bossdog421 posted...
The line is gone now.

The only real downsides to laptops are:

You'll pay a little more for portability (not as much as it used to be)
Heat can be an issue (I have never had overheating issues with Sager though)
Not really upgradable, so there is even more cost increase when it's time to upgrade (you'll need a new laptop)
New GPUs wont be released right away for laptops (no 2080 for laptops yet)

300-500 bucks more isn't really a little for the portability for one
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
4 weeks ago#5
I would say the CPU is a bigger difference in laptops now than GPU.

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
4 weeks ago#6
ATARIJAWA posted...
laptops use desktop gpus now. you don't have A 1060m like you would have had a few years ago that were much weaker than the desktop versions. You have a slightly modified desktop 1060.

Pretty sure laptop 1060s are still underclocked.
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
4 weeks ago#7
neroAngelo posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

Unless specifically stated to be a desktop GPU, laptop GPUs are still mobile versions that are underclocked and undervolted to perform 10-15% less than desktop models. Max-Q versions are underclocked even worse to keep thermals low in slim chassis models. IMHO the only GPUs worth getting as Max-Q are 1070 or 1080.
PSN: http://card.exophase.com/1/979778.png
EVGA SC17 6820HK - undervolted @ 3.7GHz

User Info: Romulox28

Romulox28
4 weeks ago#8
Dave_rawkzorz posted...
neroAngelo posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

Unless specifically stated to be a desktop GPU, laptop GPUs are still mobile versions that are underclocked and undervolted to perform 10-15% less than desktop models. Max-Q versions are underclocked even worse to keep thermals low in slim chassis models. IMHO the only GPUs worth getting as Max-Q are 1070 or 1080.

Still very cool to get through same GPU with only 10% less performance
http://i.imgur.com/LhwwG.gif

User Info: ganondorf77

ganondorf77
4 weeks ago#9
ATARIJAWA posted...

"Slightly", but a 24*12*3 centimeter card is not at all the same as the chip and a couple of little additions implemented into a laptop. No matter if 90% of that slightly change is cooling. No way it's the same, removing the "m" in the model's name is just marketing for fool.
Bu!

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
4 weeks ago#10
ganondorf77 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

"Slightly", but a 24*12*3 centimeter card is not at all the same as the chip and a couple of little additions implemented into a laptop. No matter if 90% of that slightly change is cooling. No way it's the same, removing the "m" in the model's name is just marketing for fool.

What are you going on about? They're literally the same desktop GPUs at heart, fully intact, with the same accompanying VRAM and all the circuitry needed to make it all run. The differentiating factor is the available space for the cooling solution and therefore the clockspeed. Desktop video cards are as big as they are not because they have to be but because they can be. There's a lot of space to work with so there's no reason not to make a big PCB to hold a large cooler to push the clock speed as high as possible. When space is an issue, those big PCBs can be condensed to a much smaller one as seen in "mini" video card variants. Not surprisingly, those mini PCBs look very similar to what you find in laptops.

https://i.imgur.com/zWOgDQH.jpg

Made a picture to illustrate this.
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how do laptop GPUs compare to desktop ones?
  • Topic Archived