This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help with AMD card

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help with AMD card

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 weeks ago#11
If you're not getting BSOD's, crashes, or artifacts, there's nothing wrong with the card. I have broken cards on purpose through mining in extreme heat settings during the summer and I understand how a broken GPU operates. I would crash every 15-20 minutes, artifacts, and couldn't run it past 1000mhz even though it should be at 1300. That is a sign of a broken GPU. Run benchmarks on the GPU or stress test it. If it runs at the designed speeds, it's not the card.

I always have the issue you describe with V-Sync. I don't play with V-sync, it bothers the f*** out of me. Freesync is literally free and I picked up free-sync monitors for 95 bucks each new. If the games work without V-sync, then it's not the card even then you can easily stress test this baby with something like furmark full screen and look for artifacts or see if it crashes after an hour or so. It's under warranty, why not?

So go to your Radeon settings, gaming tab, go to global graphics, you'll see wait for V-sync and play with that. Play with the settings. I don't f*** with V-sync but I'm sure you can figure it out if it matters. There's global settings in WattMan for V-sync that may fix your issue is what I'm saying.
R7 1800X|Strix 570 1475/8400|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|Heated Massage|Dancing Water|http://bit.do/32x2z-Rig|http://bit.do/32x2z-Rig2|

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
3 weeks ago#12
Foxfire15 posted...
unknown_VS posted...
32x2z posted...
Have you gone to the AMD forums to inquire about it? What drivers are you using? I'm using 18.9.3 but I haven't had issues with any drivers that they've released with AMD being the culprit. Most of the time, I was doing something incredibly wrong lmao. I always PM "kingfish" on the AMD community and he'll tell me what I'm doing wrong. If a clean install of drivers didn't fix the issue, I would ask AMD directly.

Uh, it could be so many things, like maybe it's making a texture cache or something... fact is performance is really terrible and also fact if I turn vsync off it works suddenly better, I'm certainly not playing with vsync off on a gpu that's supposed to be more powerful than my old one.

I really think the card is broken...

I doubt it, but it's your money. Broken cards tend to be pretty obvious in their failures. Having issues on a few games with v-sync (something most people turn off) is not indicative a failed cards. Artifacts/overheating/BSOD's might be.

Not true, you never see anyone streaming or on yt with vsync off, also it makes games almost unplayable.

And why did my 1050ti have basically no issues with vsync on... turning it off didn't even make a difference?

I mean, I just wanted a slightly more powerful card, not worse...

Idk what it is, I just know performance is awful and installing a graphics card should and usually is a pretty simple process, my 1050ti just worked when I installed that.

I just wanted to know if there's something obvious how I could fix this, but it doesn't seem like it unfortunately.
J-Pop

32x2z
3 weeks ago#13
unknown_VS posted...
Foxfire15 posted...
unknown_VS posted...
32x2z posted...
Have you gone to the AMD forums to inquire about it? What drivers are you using? I'm using 18.9.3 but I haven't had issues with any drivers that they've released with AMD being the culprit. Most of the time, I was doing something incredibly wrong lmao. I always PM "kingfish" on the AMD community and he'll tell me what I'm doing wrong. If a clean install of drivers didn't fix the issue, I would ask AMD directly.

Uh, it could be so many things, like maybe it's making a texture cache or something... fact is performance is really terrible and also fact if I turn vsync off it works suddenly better, I'm certainly not playing with vsync off on a gpu that's supposed to be more powerful than my old one.

I doubt it, but it's your money. Broken cards tend to be pretty obvious in their failures. Having issues on a few games with v-sync (something most people turn off) is not indicative a failed cards. Artifacts/overheating/BSOD's might be.

Not true, you never see anyone streaming or on yt with vsync off, also it makes games almost unplayable.

And why did my 1050ti have basically no issues with vsync on... turning it off didn't even make a difference?

Idk what it is, I just know performance is awful and installing a graphics card should and usually is a pretty simple process, my 1050ti just worked when I installed that.

I just wanted to know if there's something obvious how I could fix this, but it doesn't seem like it unfortunately.

There is an obvious fix. Go to your drivers and manually change the settings on V-Sync in the gaming tab under global graphics. There's several options to choose from here.
R7 1800X|Strix 570 1475/8400|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|Heated Massage|Dancing Water|http://bit.do/32x2z-Rig|http://bit.do/32x2z-Rig2|

unknown_VS
3 weeks ago#14
32x2z posted...
unknown_VS posted...
Foxfire15 posted...
unknown_VS posted...
32x2z posted...

There is an obvious fix. Go to your drivers and manually change the settings on V-Sync in the gaming tab under global graphics. There's several options to choose from here.

Huh , ok and I just change that and then off in games?

If that works it'd be really pretty simple!
J-Pop

32x2z
3 weeks ago#15
unknown_VS posted...
32x2z posted...
unknown_VS posted...
Foxfire15 posted...
unknown_VS posted...
32x2z posted...

Huh , ok and I just change that and then off in games?

If that works it'd be really pretty simple!

Lets hope to whatever you believe in that it does. There's enhanced sync, v-sync on unless application specifies, v-sync off unless application specifies, off, and always on. I hope this helps. If not make a thread on the AMD community.

unknown_VS
3 weeks ago#16
32x2z posted...
lets hope to whatever you believe in that it does. There's enhanced sync, v-sync on unless application specifies, v-sync off unless application specifies, off, and always on

That's just exactly what nvidia has also.

You know what seems to have fixed it? Triple buffering was set to off globally, I turned this on and now T7 is full-screen + vsync and runs at the correct framerate.

Now I gotta see some other games but at least it's working better now.
J-Pop

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#17
don't really see the point of upgrading from 1050 ti to a rx 580 unless you have a freesync monitor. would've been better off going to gtx 2060 or something like that.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#18
1050 ti actually has more pixel fillrate than rx 580.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: cugabuh

cugabuh
3 weeks ago#19
Have you checked to see what your refresh rate is set to on your monitor? Maybe it's thinking it's not a 60hz monitor and thus capping it at 60 when v-sync is on?

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like you may have gotten it working with triple buffering on.

unknown_VS
3 weeks ago#20
cugabuh posted...
Have you checked to see what your refresh rate is set to on your monitor? Maybe it's thinking it's not a 60hz monitor and thus capping it at 60 when v-sync is on?

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like you may have gotten it working with triple buffering on.

I really had no issues with the drivers for my 2200G, but this one is a clusterf***, I suspect tessellation and shader cache being the biggest culprits...

However, I eventually got Tomb Raider to work nicely, I just had to reload the game a couple of times and indeed turn triple buffering ON, SCVI ran also nicely, however... TEKKEN 7 would still run iffy, especially when any kind of recording software was on, plus the controls for RELIVE are a nightmare if I ever seen one (and performance impact is HUGE)

I'm returning the card, already got my 1050ti installed again and everything works dandy (as the card's power allows) it was also a joy to install compared to the 580... I still think it's bent slightly or something, never seen a graphic card that's so difficult to install...

So, lesson learned, give me MSI gaming X or death. ;)

(this AMD card has truly been a nightmare and the idea that your supposed to tweak it for every game / scenario is ridiculous and the suggestion to turn VSYNC OFF is the icing lol, typical fanboy drivel, they know their preferred product is s***, but of course try to put the blame on the user)

Nvidia isn't perfect by any means but miles more user friendly and just works.

Tldr: Tekken 7 to tricky for AMD, card I got is likely broken and goes back TODAY.
J-Pop
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help with AMD card
  • Topic Archived