This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Steam Link.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#1
Just about anything that I can get to launch in Steam Big Picture mode can be streamed to it, right? Even something like RetroArch?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|8GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

User Info: ReeNoiP

ReeNoiP
4 weeks ago#2
IIRC the ingame overlay also has to work.

Launchers can confuse it sometimes. But it can usually be solved by doing the launcher stuff from the PC. .Once the game runs it's fine.
---

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#3
ReeNoiP posted...
IIRC the ingame overlay also has to work.

Launchers can confuse it sometimes. But it can usually be solved by doing the launcher stuff from the PC. .Once the game runs it's fine.

So if the Steam menu comes up when I press the home button I'm good?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."

User Info: Jrambharose

Jrambharose
4 weeks ago#4
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=615016180

... I've realised the best way to play emulator games via Steam, and allow access to the Steam overlay and controller configurations, is to RUN THE LAUNCHBOX 'BIGBOX' UI AS A NON-STEAM GAME. This allows you to create a controller config for BigBox that will then persist throughout ALL the games launched from BigBox, regardless of the emulator. Coupled with Retroarch, this makes for a clean, consistent experience across all platforms, and no need to mess about adding hundreds of non-steam applications. Sure, you have to use two UIs to launch games, but the benefits are HUGE :-)
i7-950@4.1GHz | STRIX GTX1070-O8G | 12GB RAM | 840 SSD 250GB | 2xWD Black 1TB

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#5
Jrambharose posted...
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=615016180

... I've realised the best way to play emulator games via Steam, and allow access to the Steam overlay and controller configurations, is to RUN THE LAUNCHBOX 'BIGBOX' UI AS A NON-STEAM GAME. This allows you to create a controller config for BigBox that will then persist throughout ALL the games launched from BigBox, regardless of the emulator. Coupled with Retroarch, this makes for a clean, consistent experience across all platforms, and no need to mess about adding hundreds of non-steam applications. Sure, you have to use two UIs to launch games, but the benefits are HUGE :-)

Why add BigBox into the mix? All I did was add RetroArch as a non-steam game and it works fine as-is. All you gotta do is unmap the home button in RetroArch and change it so that Select+Start opens the menu. That way the Home button just opens the Steam menu.

Besides, I tried LaunchBox, and found it kinda clunky. And BigBox isn't free.

User Info: Professor_Kanjo

Professor_Kanjo
4 weeks ago#6
It’s terrible. Controllers never stay connected and configs aside from player one never work. Youre better off running a direct HDMI
I did not welch on a bet. You can see why here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Kanjo_Bazooie

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
4 weeks ago#7
Yep, anything. I launch battle net from it.

Some crappy ports sometimes don't work, Zoe 2 mars throws a weird error and crashes when launched via stream.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#8
By Steam Overlay, you mean that menu that comes up when you hit the Home button, right? As long as that works my game will be streamable?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Steam Link.
  • Topic Archived