This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 1080 in the low 80s for temperature. Safe?

User Info: PungentBallsack

PungentBallsack
4 weeks ago#11
Sorry guys. Might have been a false alarm. I noticed it was in the 80s yesterday, but I was trying out lots of different graphic settings in FF XV. But today, I played for an hour and a half and never saw it go above 76 degrees. So yeah, I think the only reason it went up so high was because of messing with the graphic settings and it just didn't cool down quickly so I assumed it stayed in the 80s.

User Info: FFT-Fan

FFT-Fan
4 weeks ago#12
Somehow, I have never seen my GTX 1080 go above 70 degrees and it usually is mid 60's.

PungentBallsack posted...
Msi gaming x
Well i have a Corsair carbide silent case and have the fan setting set to medium so maybe that's why

I got msi armor 1080 so I think it should be virtually identical? I don't know what my fans are at, everything is on default/auto

PungentBallsack
4 weeks ago#13
FFT-Fan posted...
Somehow, I have never seen my GTX 1080 go above 70 degrees and it usually is mid 60's.

Msi gaming x
Well i have a Corsair carbide silent case and have the fan setting set to medium so maybe that's why

I got msi armor 1080 so I think it should be virtually identical? I don't know what my fans are at, everything is on default/auto

Have you tried Nvidia game works all turned on? Those are what make my gpu rise in temperature considerably.

User Info: builder111

builder111
4 weeks ago#14
I would do some testing to see what temps you get when your card is under 100% load.
caps

User Info: FFT-Fan

FFT-Fan
4 weeks ago#15
FFT-Fan posted...

Msi gaming x

Have you tried Nvidia game works all turned on? Those are what make my gpu rise in temperature considerably.

I tried it briefly but it seems broken as even when trying to change options individually to test them I found that performance decreases a lot more than compared to leaving Nvidia game works settings off/default & using in game options instead. I think I only enable V Sync & adjust Pre-rendered frames, in order to avoid performance loss I leave the other stuff off.

The only ones that make sense to hit performance hard are Dynamic Super Resolution & Supersampling AA. Comparing in-game AA being set to FXAA or MSAA vs disabling it ingame & enabling in game works looks pretty much the same but with FPS being noticeably lower when enabling via game works. Same deal for ambient occlusion settings. If I enable MSAA x16 & maxed AO via gameworks it will usually make me get 40fps where I would get 60fps by instead using in game settings.

I'll possibly try it again if I do buy AC Odyssey since I figure with how unoptimized it seems, it might be possible for enabling via game works to be better.

User Info: Osterreich

Osterreich
4 weeks ago#16
Low 80s temp for gpu is still safe.
2700X | 1080 TI GAMING X TRIO | 500 GB M2 850 EVO SSD | 1 TB 860 EVO SSD | HX750 | WD 4 TB HDD | CH VII WI-FI X470 | 2X8 GB 3200MHZ | WIN 10 PRO | FRACTAL R5

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
4 weeks ago#17
It's safe but GPU boost will down clock past if it passes by default 84C IIRC. So use MSI afterburner and raise the temp limit. Additionally, you can set a frequency and voltage curve that allows your card to use less voltage which makes it produce less heat and set a core clock that it can comfortably boost to.

For reference, I have mine set at .95, 1835 across the board. It's 1835 100% of the time unless the usage is in the teens for which it stays at 1620. Before doing it, it would bounce all over the place and sometimes drop to 1620 with 100% load because of temperatures. Woes of a mini card.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#18
If I was worried I'd crank up the fans...but then again I do most of my gaming in VR lately so the fan sound doesn't bother me and it might bother you. BUT, which bothers you more? Hearing the fans do their job or having your GPU hot enough to cook a rotisserie chicken inside it?
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

PungentBallsack
4 weeks ago#19
arleas posted...
If I was worried I'd crank up the fans...but then again I do most of my gaming in VR lately so the fan sound doesn't bother me and it might bother you. BUT, which bothers you more? Hearing the fans do their job or having your GPU hot enough to cook a rotisserie chicken inside it?

Yeah I turned the fan setting up one notch and it's still not too loud. But it did make a difference temperature wise. Now it's low to mid 70s.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#20
not really worried about 80C with a GPU, its lifespan may be a cut a bit but should be okay for a couple of years. but what is its VRM temperature?
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 1080 in the low 80s for temperature. Safe?
  • Topic Archived