This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Items in recycle bin not correctly deleted?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Items in recycle bin not correctly deleted?

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
3 weeks ago#1
Noticed this before, when I go to defrag it shows files in a (empty) recycle bin being defragged, just made a install disc and deleted some images, I know its them as despite having different filenames they have the same file extensions which are uncommon.

How can I get rid fully? Im just worried it will take up space on hard drive.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
3 weeks ago#2
Could be wrong but I think deleting just means that that space on the drive can now be allocated for new information while still retaining the old information (until it's overwritten). So it's not actually taking up space even though it's still there.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
3 weeks ago#3
Right click on the recycle bin icon and pick empty recycle bin.
To put the recycle bin icon on the desktop, if it isn't already there, you have to right click on an empty part of the desktop, pick personalize, pick themes, scroll down till you can find Desktop icon settings, a window should pop up with the option of icons that can be put on the desktop, make sure Recycle Bin is check and hit apply.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#4
pothocket posted...
Could be wrong but I think deleting just means that that space on the drive can now be allocated for new information while still retaining the old information (until it's overwritten). So it's not actually taking up space even though it's still there.

Correct - in almost all implementations of file deletion all it amounts to is basically marking the space they take up as "being writeable" and removing them from view. This is not the same as completely removing them but it's effectively the same - the space can be reused and they aren't (officially) part of the collection of files you have.

Very, very rarely you get something different - it's usually dubbed "secure delete" or something along those lines but it not only marks the files as "sort of not there any more" but it also involves aggressively overwriting the bits on the hard drive in an attempt to scrub any leftover information and make the file unrecoverable.

Playsaver posted...
Right click on the recycle bin icon and pick empty recycle bin.

This is also relevant - if a file is in the Recycle Bin it's not actually deleted. The bin is essentially another folder and "deleting" moves the file to there. However, the file still takes up hard drive space and from the point of view of the HDD it's present and active, no different to other files you can see and interact with. You have to "empty" the bin to actually cause the file to be deleted, which triggers the above mentioned "mark it as if it's gone" routine to fire.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
3 weeks ago#5
To be clear, I know about deleting items from recycle bin, Im not sure if its related to Ccleaner as I have it set to empty recycle bin and secure file deletion but just 1 pass.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#6
Ccleaner's recycle bin deletion may not work the exact same as the regular delete, but it should do the same thing...making the file space available to be overwritten next time you save a file. It might be moving the recycle bin folder without actually moving any files in it. I would say if you're that worried, you should probably do a "wipe free space" when you defrag since that will zero out the free space and make sure there'd be nothing to move at all.

Unfortunately if you did do that then it would make recovering deleted files that much harder, but if you're not worried about that it would ease your mind about the deleted files still being on the drive.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Items in recycle bin not correctly deleted?
  • Topic Archived