This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good graphics card for an HP slimline from 2015/16?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good graphics card for an HP slimline from 2015/16?

User Info: wufiei

wufiei
3 weeks ago#1
It has Windows 10 and has 4 gigs of ram, 2.41 th a cpu. 64 mb dedicated video ram and 1700 shared ram (give or take). These probably aren't the exact specs since it was a gift and I'm not near it right now (unfortunately, the sticker with the specs on it wasn't there. I think that it was a quad core though an I'm not sure. I also believe that J can upgrade to 16 gigs of ram but am not sure.
What is that strange appendage growing out the top of your head? ~ Hiei

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 weeks ago#2
Upgrade Ram to 8gb and throw a 1050ti in there. Not sure if you have an i5 or i7 although it shouldn't matter too much. Cheapest upgrade would be a 1050/50ti and 8gb of Ram.
R7 1800X|STRIX 570 1435/2000|Freesync 7680x1080|16GB 3000|240 SSD + 1TB|Strix B450|Seasonic Focus+ Plat 750W|Heated Massage Chair|
https://imgur.com/a/hBndVEs

wufiei
3 weeks ago#3
Ok thanks. Can I run skyrim, Me trilogy, and Andromeda on this? Thx

32x2z
3 weeks ago#4
You should be able to run the Mass Effect games just fine on that GPU. I heard the first one is kinda hit and miss for steam support, but the other 2 should be just fine. You can absolutely run Skyrim + mods of course. Your CPU doesn't seem terrible but again, as long as it's an i3 or above you should be fine. Here's hoping you have an i5 of some sort.
R7 1800X|STRIX 570 1435/2000|Freesync 7680x1080|16GB 3000|240 SSD + 1TB|Strix B450|Seasonic Focus+ Plat 750W|Heated Massage Chair|

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 weeks ago#5
To find your spec. just go Start > type dxdiag > Click on dxdiag

The system tab shows you which motherboard (ie System Manufacturer + System Model), CPU, and the amount of system RAM you have. The display tab shows which graphics processor you are using.

With a slimline case you'll have to check that whichever graphics card you buy actually fits in the case. Also make sure your power supply is up to the job. Graphics cards vary enormously in the amount of power they use. If in doubt, ask here!

wufiei
3 weeks ago#6
Cool, thx. I'll try that when I get home.

32x2z
3 weeks ago#7
TC bare in mind I recommended the 50/50ti because they run off MOBO power. You should have at least a PCI 2.0 x 16 slot. That will suffice for modern games.

maybecalls
3 weeks ago#8
Btw, you mention your IGP is using 64MB dedicated RAM...... You can easily increase that figure by accessing your BIOS, and changing it there.

I recently did that when my graphics card conked out. I'm currently using my CPU's IGP until I decide which card to buy. Mine was set at 64MB, too, and I increased it to it's maximum of 512MB.

wufiei
3 weeks ago#9
Alright, thx. I'll try that. Hopefully it'll go well (some PCs don't let you change the dedicated vram).

maybecalls
3 weeks ago#10
Yes. I was hoping it would allow me to use more than 512MB (I have 8GB system RAM installed). I am using Intel HD 2000 graphics from 2011.

If anyone intends to game on such a feeble IGP, I heartily recommend Source engine games.

Also, I might well have bought a GT 1030 by now, if the GDDR5 version was still £60. They're £80 now, though! The crappy DDR4 version has taken over the £60 price point. Damn you, nVidia!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good graphics card for an HP slimline from 2015/16?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived