This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Who else thinks the new GeForce "RTX" branding is a bad choice?

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
3 months ago#1
Honestly, the GeForce "RTX" is too close to the Radeon's "RX" lineup.

If I was Nvidia's marketing department, I would've gone with "GTR" to show it's evolution from the "GTX" moniker and get rid of the "Ti" SKU naming schemes.

Just stick with pure numbers.

The "Ti" moniker is very unnecessary IMO.

#80Ti can just be #90 instead

#70Ti can just be #75 instead
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
3 months ago#2
There's like a dozen companies that can sue nVidia to f*** and back for GTR.

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
3 months ago#3
Dyshonest posted...
There's like a dozen companies that can sue nVidia to f*** and back for GTR.
Not the "Nvidia GeForce GTR™"
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: seasloth21

seasloth21
3 months ago#4
I disagree with almost everything there.

RTX is fine, but if they were worried(which they shouldn’t be), GTR is a poor substitute. GTR sounds like a downgrade for whatever reason. I’m guessing that has to do with the fact that everything else ends in X so a lower alphabetical number implies a weaker card.

Pure numbers doesn’t necessarily work due to previous sli or crossfire cards using the 90 moniker to imply such and would likely lead to more confusion.

User Info: protools1983

protools1983
3 months ago#5
I would name it "BFG" for Big f***ing Graphix (card) lmao
Glorious 4K/Vive VR PC Master Race
Gamefaqs PCH Discord channel: https://discord.gg/EmPEfdC

User Info: youshallbeasgod

youshallbeasgod
3 months ago#6
I assumed it was meant to cash in on ray tracing stuff. nVidia RTX do RayTracing Graphics !
Relax, it's just a game.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#7
RTX is a pretty poor choice, but I can bet you it was intentional. Especially since they didn't change GeForce into RayForce, and the G in GTX is supposed to be GeForce. Just using raytracing as an excuse to make it harder to find AMD graphics cards.

Not that AMD isn't doing this to Intel right now, but worse. Exact same chipset naming scheme, and releasing r3/r5/r7 processors. Why buy a X299 motherboard, when AMD is already on X399???
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: wgoldingful

wgoldingful
3 months ago#8
See. This is why we need GPP. Without it, customers could easily mistake different branded cards for nVidia /s

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 months ago#9
DarkZV2Beta posted...
RTX is a pretty poor choice, but I can bet you it was intentional. Especially since they didn't change GeForce into RayForce, and the G in GTX is supposed to be GeForce. Just using raytracing as an excuse to make it harder to find AMD graphics cards.

Not that AMD isn't doing this to Intel right now, but worse. Exact same chipset naming scheme, and releasing r3/r5/r7 processors. Why buy a X299 motherboard, when AMD is already on X399???

Actually, wouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it's more likely that people will mistakenly associate AMD product as a part of the "new RTX" line up.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: wgoldingful

wgoldingful
3 months ago#10
Requiem posted...
Actually, wouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it's more likely that people will mistakenly associate AMD product as a part of the "new RTX" line up.

I could see it being like the Apple situation.

"OMG AMD soooo ripped off nVidia. Stole their nomenclature and all."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Who else thinks the new GeForce "RTX" branding is a bad choice?
  • Topic Archived