This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good antivirus for a laptop that isn't avast?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good antivirus for a laptop that isn't avast?

User Info: coinstarcad

coinstarcad
1 month ago#1
What's a good FREE antivirus, that isn't avast, for a laptop? And how much has avast been slowing my pc that can play FO4, Subnautica and Witcher 3? The reason I have it is because boot-time scan saved me once or twice before.

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
1 month ago#2
Malwarebytes even though it's not specifically an AV software it still protects you all the same.

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#3
ThePCElitist posted...
Malwarebytes even though it's not specifically an AV software it still protects you all the same.

MBAM in conjunction with Windows Defender should be enough for most.

That said, Avast is very light in my experience and I've never had it cause the kind of slow downs mentioned. Sounds like a configuration issue. Maybe try a clean install with only the core components.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: wgoldingful

wgoldingful
1 month ago#4
I used to use Bitdefender Free for years. You make an account (a fake/throwaay is fine) and it will never bother you. But now I'm doing the Mal + Win Def method. Which, let's be honest, if you're looking for a non-intrusive, light AV, this is the best way to go.

Mal isn't an AV. They go for the latest threats but purge their database of old ones and they don't cover trojans/infected files. I recently scanned an old (10 yr) virus with Win Def and Mal. WD caught it, but Mal said "nothing to see here".

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#5
AVG
Comodo

Just Google it
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
1 month ago#6
gideond posted...
That said, Avast is very light in my experience and I've never had it cause the kind of slow downs mentioned. Sounds like a configuration issue. Maybe try a clean install with only the core components.

Ditto and seconded. File shield and behavior shield are all that's needed.

User Info: GM_

GM_
1 month ago#7
wgoldingful posted...
I used to use Bitdefender Free for years. You make an account (a fake/throwaay is fine) and it will never bother you. But now I'm doing the Mal + Win Def method. Which, let's be honest, if you're looking for a non-intrusive, light AV, this is the best way to go.

Mal isn't an AV. They go for the latest threats but purge their database of old ones and they don't cover trojans/infected files. I recently scanned an old (10 yr) virus with Win Def and Mal. WD caught it, but Mal said "nothing to see here".

This is why multi-layer security is a better choice if your system can handle it. Combining AV+MAL+Another Malware/Spyware is what I do. If I honestly question a file or something it gets the cavity search by no less than 3 programs.

Hitman Pro is another good software.
PC mustarded rice

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#8
DiviDude posted...
gideond posted...

Ditto and seconded. File shield and behavior shield are all that's needed.

I have web and mail shield turned on mine as well with no issues. Those 4 and the rescue disk are the only components I ever install.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good antivirus for a laptop that isn't avast?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived