This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If Doom 2016 was actually a good doom...

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 months ago#51
godplaysSNES posted...
A few close encounters with few enemies and much more using walls as cover and picking them off at a distance

That sounds like the worst DOOM experience.

User Info: yutterh

yutterh
3 months ago#52
Orestes417 posted...
Keep telling a guy who lived the decade how he played the game. Please. It's amusing.

I lived the decade as well and I don't remember any one ever playing doom slow and creeping around the corner. I was literally the only one I ever seen do that. But that's because that's how I play all of my game's lol I never really like to rush through them. I have watch quite a few people.play it and none ever played that way.
i7-5820K 3.3GHz, Asus X99-DELUXE, Corsair H110i GTX, 850 EVO 1TB, EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX2.0, Corsair 760T, EVGA 850W, Orion Spark, Proteus Core, Benq BL3200PT

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#53
spike_spiegel posted...
If you understood the Lore of the game you'd know why Glory Kills are even in the game to begin with

I collected and read all the notes etc. and didn't see any mention of glory kills. Care to enlighten me?
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#54
DiviDude posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
A few close encounters with few enemies and much more using walls as cover and picking them off at a distance

That sounds like the worst DOOM experience.

If you ran right out into every fire fight on Ultraviolence or higher, you likely wouldn't live long. Granted, I didn't creep along slowly, but intelligent use of map bottlenecks and cover was essential for survival. You think the devs put those pillars and consoles etc. in just for window dressing? Weaving around objects and popping in and out of hallways to pull enemies into bottlenecks, dodge fire and instigate in-fighting was essential.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#55
Orestes417 posted...
Keep telling yourself that. Doom was never a game where you lurked around lining up shots. The design screams fast and constant action. Hell go watch the original commercials. I guarantee you they weren't playing slow.

Here I'll help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPNg8hn_1o
Note how it's being played. Accept the fact that you weren't most people.

Oh and as for going right up to the enemy and engaging, the super shotgun, the berserk pack and the chainsaw all say hello. As does the stun mechanic that could be used and abused to control fights.

ITP Doom is a fighting game.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#56
godplaysSNES posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Because you could move around the enemies at a distance rather than needing to directly engage them. I don't think any enemies even had hitscan attacks? So going right up to an enemy is the opposite of what Doom encouraged.

This is more how people actually played Doom back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IJ5qZToR0

All that design thought. Really wish these new B-team devs put more thought into level design, both in terms of actual layout and visual direction/queues.
I mean, hell, look at the number of rooms in OG Doom that either have large obstructions in the center, or are a collection of corridors and corners to explore? Vs nu-doom, where every room is just a big open pit.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more nu-doom is just another garden variety shooter with the movement speed and enemy health amped up and some gimmicks thrown in. Even has f***ing progression, just to round things out. No wonder it reminded me more of Far Cry than Doom; it's mostly open spaces sprinkled with bits of cover and explosive barrels. But, I guess kids these days remember setpieces more than stage design.

Maybe I should make a UE3 generic-AF FPS, or UT3 SP mod. Just reuse the awesome Unreal weapons and focus on putting in some good, fun stages. Probably don't have time anymore though.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 months ago#57
Doom 2016 is ok but it can't hold a candle to Shadow Warrior 2 which is still the best fps of all time.
ENDUT! HOCH HECH

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 months ago#58
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they're wrong :P
Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero | G.Skill 16GB 3600Mhz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 months ago#59
JKatarn posted...
If you ran right out into every fire fight on Ultraviolence or higher, you likely wouldn't live long. Granted, I didn't creep along slowly, but intelligent use of map bottlenecks and cover was essential for survival. You think the devs put those pillars and consoles etc. in just for window dressing? Weaving around objects and popping in and out of hallways to pull enemies into bottlenecks, dodge fire and instigate in-fighting was essential.

False dichotomy.

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#60
DiviDude posted...
JKatarn posted...

False dichotomy.

Irony.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If Doom 2016 was actually a good doom...
  • Topic Archived