This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just can't seem to enjoy Monster Hunter: World

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just can't seem to enjoy Monster Hunter: World

User Info: VoyagerMNL

VoyagerMNL
2 months ago#1
Hey guys, So i got the game and booted it up. Played for 2 hours and just can't seem to get into it that much. Maybe I'm intimidated by how complex some of the systems seem, the learning curve, or the fact that I don't like the anime inspired aesthetic. Does the game get better the more you play?

People have been giving this game rave reviews and I just don't "get it". :/

Desperately want to enjoy the game as I'm sick and tired of battle royale games. Am I missing something here?
Ryzen 2700X / Hyper 212 | GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme | 32 GB DDR4

User Info: 50inchDLP

50inchDLP
2 months ago#2
The game is some tryhard s***. Way too complicated for no reason like a lot of Japanese games. I played the wiiU one and it took like 20-30 hours before I actually started to enjoy it. Basically you need to put a lot of work into it to get anything out of it. Thats why I am waiting on the new one until a sale.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -My youtube http://otrarchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/fibber-mcgee-and-molly.html -Best show ever

User Info: richisdisturbed

richisdisturbed
2 months ago#3
VoyagerMNL posted...
Am I missing something here?

Yeah, research before purchases.
Idiots voting for idiots.

User Info: VoidNoodle

VoidNoodle
2 months ago#4
You've only been playing for 2 hours.

I'd say World is pretty streamlined already, so I think you'll have a much easier time compared to beginning on the previous titles. Give it a bit more time.

If you've played any Souls games, then it plays just like that.
2018 Goal: set any score lmao
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky One TKL RGB | Quickfire TK | Corsair K90

User Info: WhiteZeus

WhiteZeus
2 months ago#5
Complete opposite for me? I spend hours on my first and second expedition doing bounties for whatever reason… I just enjoyed randomly running around, collecting stuff and finding monsters...

However, once u kill a few monsters or you waited too long to find them, all big monsters will dissapear and u are running around an empty world.

There are alot of mechanics in expedition and stuff that i still don't understand though. But i'm in love with the game so far. Can't wait to play more.

But the opening to the game was very slow and boring IMO. Try to play more.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#6
VoyagerMNL posted...
Maybe I'm intimidated by how complex some of the systems seem

You don't have to worry about the systems early in the game. You just go out there, try out combos and fight. You'll get a feel for it later, believe me. After killing some monsters go to the smithy and upgrade/make new weapons and armor and boom, you have the basic game loop down flat.

VoyagerMNL posted...
the learning curve

Just observe. Many people try to hack and slash their way out of a fight and fail miserably. You should try to just watch the monster, how much time it takes to launch an attack and to recover from it. You should start seeing some windows - use them to attack! Try to get a hit or two in and retreat. Once you get more confident with a monster, try to use narrower windows and/or sneak more attacks in! You'll be a pro in no time.

VoyagerMNL posted...
Does the game get better the more you play?

Can't do much about the aesthetic, but lots of MH games are the best at their endgame, where you have access to all equipment, items and monsters and can do much more than at the beginning.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: SonyHoundDawg

SonyHoundDawg
2 months ago#7
I also thought I'd the game TC but I didn't. Ws the biggest flop of me for the year so far. Wish I didnt bother buying it digitally. But thats my bad and a lesson learned.

User Info: VoidNoodle

VoidNoodle
2 months ago#8
WhiteZeus posted...

But the opening to the game was very slow and boring IMO. Try to play more.

This is pretty much the case for all of MH. The game really begins at High Rank and G-Rank, if we're getting that.
2018 Goal: set any score lmao
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky One TKL RGB | Quickfire TK | Corsair K90

User Info: MasterPoker

MasterPoker
2 months ago#9
50inchDLP posted...
The game is some tryhard s***. Way too complicated for no reason like a lot of Japanese games. I played the wiiU one and it took like 20-30 hours before I actually started to enjoy it. Basically you need to put a lot of work into it to get anything out of it. Thats why I am waiting on the new one until a sale.

MH:World is in many ways the dumbed down, casualized version of MH3U. Game is easier in general thanks to a lot of QoL updates, weaker monsters, extra devices like Mantles that give you several powerful skills, and a lack of solo online play unless you use a friend to start the room (otherwise there's no HP multiplier).

Graphics were pushed in silly ways, so the world itself feels more complex than it is and needs higher specs than MH really should to run at decent settings and 60+ FPS. I liked the open, clean look of the Wii/Wii U/3DS MHs over MH:World's aesthetic.
Xuande | F/GO, Aug/9/18: http://i.imgur.com/cqAXCL3.jpg (364,837,417)
Next Goals: Financial hardship, selling my 14+dupes SSR account, PM me.

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
2 months ago#10
VoyagerMNL posted...
Does the game get better the more you play?

Yes.

The average MH game doesn't really start till the end game, 20-40 hours after you start. The story is a glorified tutorial/introduction to the monsters.

That said, most of the game is just the grind. If you're not into that, just refund the game or something, it ain't for you.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just can't seem to enjoy Monster Hunter: World

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived