This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Cannot find out the problem with my computer! Its driving me crazy.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#11
JKatarn posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
i7 920 is getting there, i7 980 should hold up even better due to its extra two cores

I don't know about that, I know in some games, like the original Borderlands when I moved to my current Sandy Bridge from old Core 2 Quad 9450 I noticed a decent bump up in performance, and that was over 6 years ago.

Nehalem was a fair bit faster than Core 2 Quad.
60+ FPS in modern games on those old CPUs (at stock speed) is a stretch, but they're still viable for 30-60 FPS depending on the game.

Phenom II X4 is also generally still enough for 30-ish FPS except for a few games, and those who won't even start due to requiring SSE4.1
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Robot2600

Robot2600
4 months ago#12
jcgonzmo posted...
Then he disconnected GPU, Sound Card, RAM. Nothing, the computer would turn on and off, sometimes it would stay on just a little bit longer. Long enough to see the BIOS screen. Then it would turn off. The he tried to reset the bios with a paper clip. For a while it worked, the machine stayed on. We left the machine on for 10 minutes and turned it off. Again the problem of turning on and off. He does not know where the problem lies because apparently my motherboard does not have the small speaker that emits sound to tell you what the problem is (the guy I mentioned previously said the same thing). In the end he told me "Man, I do not know what happened. In my house it worked with a new PSU, everything was fine. I reinstalled everything. The only thing that I can tell you is that I was lucky and you need to change motherboard, CPU and new RAM." He recommended me buying this

This sounds very much like HDD crashing. They can "half-way" crash if some sectors are good too. I would at least disconnect your HDDs and see if you can run the bios for a while. If you aren't getting to same problem then maybe it's one of those.

Last time my HDD crashed, my comp was doing exactly what you describe.
&

User Info: jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
4 months ago#13
Robot2600 posted...
jcgonzmo posted...
Then he disconnected GPU, Sound Card, RAM. Nothing, the computer would turn on and off, sometimes it would stay on just a little bit longer. Long enough to see the BIOS screen. Then it would turn off. The he tried to reset the bios with a paper clip. For a while it worked, the machine stayed on. We left the machine on for 10 minutes and turned it off. Again the problem of turning on and off. He does not know where the problem lies because apparently my motherboard does not have the small speaker that emits sound to tell you what the problem is (the guy I mentioned previously said the same thing). In the end he told me "Man, I do not know what happened. In my house it worked with a new PSU, everything was fine. I reinstalled everything. The only thing that I can tell you is that I was lucky and you need to change motherboard, CPU and new RAM." He recommended me buying this

This sounds very much like HDD crashing. They can "half-way" crash if some sectors are good too. I would at least disconnect your HDDs and see if you can run the bios for a while. If you aren't getting to same problem then maybe it's one of those.

Last time my HDD crashed, my comp was doing exactly what you describe.

I am positive I disconnected every hard drive. I will double check.

jcgonzmo
4 months ago#14
Planning to buy:

Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor $178
16 GB RAM

GIGABYTE B360M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) $68

16GB RAM (I do not know which one yet)

Planning to buy a 1070 when the price goes down. Going to keep the old one for now.

Will I be able to play Wolfenstein 2, Prey 2, Fallout 4 at 60FPS Very High 1080p? How would I do in 4K?

User Info: MASKOAAA

MASKOAAA
4 months ago#15
That’s a 1080p-1440p machine 144hz

I play those games fine on my i5 2500k GTX 970 w 8gb ram high/ultra 1080p/60fps

jcgonzmo
4 months ago#16
MASKOAAA posted...
That’s a 1080p-1440p machine 144hz

I play those games fine on my i5 2500k GTX 970 w 8gb ram high/ultra 1080p/60fps

I have a laptop right now. Are those prices alright, or maybe I should hold up for Black Friday?

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
4 months ago#17
Unplug your pc then open it up and reseat the Graphics card. Do the same to any power connections to the card as well. They can get a bit loose over time. (reseat = remove the card from the slot and then put it back in.)

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
4 months ago#18
Take it all apart. Put it back together again.

Pay special attention to if there are any metals touching the back of the motherboard, SATA or 8pin/24pin connector that may be looser than it wants to be.

If you replaced the PSU and it is still doing weird glitches like that my best guess is that there's an intermittent loss of voltage somewhere. If it's on the motherboard good luck. You can try and trace it if you know enough about electronics but other than that just replace it, and probably the CPU as well.

If you live in Wisconsin within 2 hours of the Madison area and really want to try to get this fixed just message me. We can try to meet up someplace public with an outlet and I can try to help you out.

=======

The last time I saw an issue like this it was a PSU that was not pushing enough power to one of the 8pin connectors for the video card. Everything else looked fine but that was the only indicator that something was wrong. A day later more issues popped up and after troubleshooting we nailed it to the PSU.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 months ago#19
jcgonzmo posted...
Planning to buy:

Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor $178
16 GB RAM

GIGABYTE B360M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) $68

16GB RAM (I do not know which one yet)

Planning to buy a 1070 when the price goes down. Going to keep the old one for now.

Will I be able to play Wolfenstein 2, Prey 2, Fallout 4 at 60FPS Very High 1080p? How would I do in 4K?

1080p-1440p? Absolutely....4K, doubtful. Also, for Fallout 4, you're probably going to want to reduce the "Shadow Distance" setting to medium - YMMV, but I got a HUGE framerate boost by doing that (didn't change anything else). A single 1080ti is the bare minimum for modern 4K gaming I would say, and even then you'll end up reducing settings to hit 60 FPS - I don't know that even 2 1080ti's can do 4K maxed out in every game.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: L0Z

L0Z
4 months ago#20
I had the same issue as TC. Replaced the power supply and it didnt fix the issue. Sent my 980 ti kingpin back for rma. Decided to just buy all new parts. The oddest part was when I turned the computer on my monitor would detect its receiving a signal and turn on then say no signal after 5 seconds of a black screen and the computer beeped 2 times slow then 3 times fast. Integrated intel graphics worked fine.

Maybe it's the mobo, possibly one of the lanes to the pcie 16 slot is corroded. It was a gigabyte one too
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Cannot find out the problem with my computer! Its driving me crazy.
  • Topic Archived