This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any alternatives to uBlock Origin?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any alternatives to uBlock Origin?

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
4 weeks ago#1
Sites seem to be detecting it more and more even with an anti-ablock killer list.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room. Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#ImpeachTrump

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#2
Adblock is even worse so not that one. Shame uBlock was a good one.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#3
Lonestar2000 posted...
Sites seem to be detecting it more and more even with an anti-ablock killer list.

The usual ways sites detect an adblocker is because their ads don't show up. They aren't usually checking specifically for one browser addon. Anti-adblock killers simply try to stop the resulting message.

So, I don't think changing from uBlock Origin would help you. You can probably change to a different adblocker and get fewer "you have adblock on" messages but only because the other one lets through more ads. With that said, you can just get the same result with uBlock Origin by using a different subscription list or manually putting some whitelist rules.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
4 weeks ago#4
vlado_e posted...
Lonestar2000 posted...

The usual ways sites detect an adblocker is because their ads don't show up. They aren't usually checking specifically for one browser addon. Anti-adblock killers simply try to stop the resulting message.

So, I don't think changing from uBlock Origin would help you. You can probably change to a different adblocker and get fewer "you have adblock on" messages but only because the other one lets through more ads. With that said, you can just get the same result with uBlock Origin by using a different subscription list or manually putting some whitelist rules.

Basically this.

Good thing UO gives you the instant on/off toggle for that page. Whenever there is a page so important you must let through, then just switch it off and do a refresh.

User Info: NuclearHendrix

NuclearHendrix
4 weeks ago#5
Adguard.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
4 weeks ago#6
Lonestar2000 posted...

If you're willing to invest a bit of time to learn how it works, uMatrix might allow you to let through only the elements on a page you need for it to work properly.

It's by the same creator of uBlock:

https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix

I'd recommend having a look at the wiki on the github I linked before trying uMatrix out. Once you're familiar with what the elements on a page are (or if you know to begin with) it's pretty easy to use.

Like uBlock, uMatrix also gives you an on/off toggle if needed, or if you want to go that route, but there's enough control over elements on the page that you can likely get a page working properly with a just allowing elements one at a time until the page is functional.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD /Corsair CX650M / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
4 weeks ago#7
Does anyone use the ghostery plugin on desktop browsers?

I use it on my phone and it's great, completely kills ads. Makes gamefaqs usable on mobile again by eradicating all the annoying sneaky clickbait ads that "accidentally" get clicked on when you're typing on the message box which conveniently floats right over the clickbait ads.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
4 weeks ago#8
sfcalimari posted...
Does anyone use the ghostery plugin on desktop browsers?

My understanding (from past topics on this board) was it being mentioned there's some kind of problem with Ghostery now.

Sorry for being vague as hell, I don't use Ghostery, so I don't remember the exact issue, perhaps someone else around here will be able to give more detail.

Between uBlock and uMatrix, I've not needed anything else.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD /Corsair CX650M / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Aloner

Aloner
4 weeks ago#9
Lonestar2000 posted...

Which anti-adblock are you using? Most of them were discontinued a year or two ago, so they'd definitely be broken by now.

The only one still active is Nano Defender: https://jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockProtector/
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed.

User Info: Kenny_Mayne

Kenny_Mayne
4 weeks ago#10
No adblocker
Original #1 seahawks fan est. 2013. Not changing sig until they move the seahawks, mariners, sounders to Oklahoma City
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any alternatives to uBlock Origin?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived