This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If my PC restarts out of no warning with a notification related to power surges.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If my PC restarts out of no warning with a notification related to power surges.

User Info: Chaos_Missile

Chaos_Missile
2 months ago#1
...can I immediately assume it to be a PSU issue? Or is it caused by something else?
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
2 months ago#2
Thermals would be the first thing I'd check since it is the easiest.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll

Chaos_Missile
2 months ago#3
MacrossSpecial posted...

I did a check a few weeks earlier; they seemed fine.
The restart previously happened when my temps were around 60 degrees. I even ran a benchmark tool (Heaven 2009) on the highest setting on 2 occasions for roughly 1-2 hours and it didnt even restart.
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006

User Info: dean_666

dean_666
2 months ago#4
Chaos_Missile posted...
MacrossSpecial posted...

I did a check a few weeks earlier; they seemed fine.
The restart previously happened when my temps were around 60 degrees. I even ran a benchmark tool (Heaven 2009) on the highest setting on 2 occasions for roughly 1-2 hours and it didnt even restart.

Try stress testing your CPU with Aida64
MSI Z370 M5 | I7 8700k | CRYORIG R1 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX | MSI 1070 GAMING X | 1TB 850 EVO SSD | EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 | ACER PREDATOR XB271HU

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#5
Power supply, mains power, or motherboard would be the issue.
There's a small chance it could be a defective peripheral with a short feeding more power over a ground wire than it should, but that's unlikely.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
2 months ago#6
DarkZV2Beta posted...
There's a small chance it could be a defective peripheral with a short feeding more power over a ground wire than it should, but that's unlikely.

In my personal experience, it was a motherboard issue. My old overclocking mobo would restart randomly, after swapping it out the random restarts stopped. I am using a Seasonic focus plus platinum 750 PSU so I knew it wasn't a power issue. TC check your motherboard or defective peripherals.
Karma is a biscuit!

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#7
By default Windows auto-restarts these days. Turn that off and you may see cryptic blue screens.

I have cryptic memory/driver errors going on. I am hoping it is the PSU. Regardless cryptic memory /driver errors that could be caused by any number of things suck to troubleshoot.

32x2z posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

In my personal experience, it was a motherboard issue. My old overclocking mobo would restart randomly, after swapping it out the random restarts stopped. I am using a Seasonic focus plus platinum 750 PSU so I knew it wasn't a power issue. TC check your motherboard or defective peripherals.

Even quality parts will sometimes fail. You were right but never assume.

Chaos_Missile
2 months ago#8
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I'm honestly hoping that's not the case, as that will likely require a change in CPU as well if I cant find a replacement board (I'm using a 3570K. Not yet OCed)

I will admit though and add on info: during startup, there is a red LED light blinking. I think it was the MEM_OKAY one but I dont think that is the problem....could it?

Voxwik posted...
By default Windows auto-restarts these days. Turn that off and you may see cryptic blue screens.

I'm (still) using 7, so no force restart from Windows.
Mine doesnt even blue-screen; it just...restarts and tell me there's a power surge and to press F2 to check the BIOS

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#9
Chaos_Missile posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I'm honestly hoping that's not the case, as that will likely require a change in CPU as well if I cant find a replacement board (I'm using a 3570K. Not yet OCed)

I will admit though and add on info: during startup, there is a red LED light blinking. I think it was the MEM_OKAY one but I dont think that is the problem....could it?

Disable auto-restart and check your event logs.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
2 months ago#10
Voxwik posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Disable auto-restart and check your event logs.

Let us know what happens TC.
Karma is a biscuit!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If my PC restarts out of no warning with a notification related to power surges.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived