This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

you know... i never really liked the first unreal

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. you know... i never really liked the first unreal

User Info: FelineCyborg

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#1
it was free today and i got the patch to make it look and run nice, and it brought back nostalgia seeing the opening menu castle pan of course, then i remembered...this game had TERRIBLE level design. this is like some daikatana mixed with bad NES game level design, they intentionally make it where you never know where to progress to pad out the game length, and its not like a oh what do i do next cool intriguing way like half life did it , its more like the developers taking a crap on you feeling, and the games shooting isn't even that fun, quake 2 did it MUCH better, hell quake 1 did it better, why the hell is this game considered a classic?

unreal tournament though.... now give me that for free
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 months ago#2
That Botmatch mode though ^^

UT made it obsolete in 1999 but until then it was the **** :D
Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero | G.Skill 16GB 3600Mhz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#3
yea, botmatch is pretty much all i did with unreal as a kid because i couldn't stand the actual game, and now i still can't stand it, and in retrospect i just don't get why this game is like pc gaming "classic"
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
4 months ago#4
:> I loved the singleplayer unreal, Unreal 2 was hot garbage though.

UT was always just a techdemo/showcase of their upgraded unreal engine first, actual game second.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
4 months ago#5
I've gotten every free game that's been given out in the past 6 months, but .. . I won't be getting this one.
I remember it when it was released.
Half Life was 1000x better
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: r0xm2n

r0xm2n
4 months ago#6
Unreal is mostly memorable for it's atmosphere and world.

Of course it also lead to Unreal Tournament, which is my most favorite game of all time. Not only did it get me through a time of major depression ...... but UT gave me a blast at the same time!
All the mutators and addons gave you hundreds of ways to play the game!
This has been another (probably) uselessly informative post, by me. Booyah!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEvilbyte

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 months ago#7
Yeah, I only played a few hours of the campaign in Unreal and just couldn't bring myself to give a s***. Played so many hours of multiplayer, though! In UT I still think of the Ripper as the Razorjack and the Rocket Launcher as the 8-Ball. And also the Shock Rifle will always kinda be the Asmo to me but that's only based on originally seeing A.S.M.D. As A.S.M.O.

Remaking some of the key Unreal levels in Unreal Tournament was really smart. I spent a lot of time playing Curse so seeing it in UT was awesome. Too bad they didn't keep the level with the acid river, though. Azure-something? Anyway.

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
4 months ago#8
Well, anyone is allowed to have s*** taste. Quake 2's level design is far worse in pretty much every way, and so was that gunplay, still enjoyed it though.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
4 months ago#9
I beat Unreal when it was relatively new, really enjoyed it. I beat it for the second time back in November last year, was still decent. As for TC's comment about the level design being terrible, well you just got to memorize the map in your mind as you're playing so you won't get lost. Try playing Wolfenstein 3D where every corridor looks the same etc

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#10
Dirk85UK posted...
I beat Unreal when it was relatively new, really enjoyed it. I beat it for the second time back in November last year, was still decent. As for TC's comment about the level design being terrible, well you just got to memorize the map in your mind as you're playing so you won't get lost. Try playing Wolfenstein 3D where every corridor looks the same etc

i beat the crap out of every wolfenstein 3d episode before i turned 7

ive played just about every single 90s fps when they came out. unreal without the tech is hot garbage. its like if wolfenstein 3d had corridors from the very beginning that lead absolutely nowhere just to waste your time. thats what unreal does. they make the levels gigantic with these huge open spaces simply for you to waste your time in them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. you know... i never really liked the first unreal

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived