This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SATA SSDs... M.2 vs. 2.5"

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SATA SSDs... M.2 vs. 2.5"
The cranky hermit 4 months ago#1
Suppose I'm building a new PC, and suppose I need a 500GB main drive, and that NVMe drives are priced too high right now.

Crucial offers a 500GB SATA SSD for $120. It's available in the 2.5" form factor, and also in M.2 form factor, priced the same. Does either have an advantage over the other?
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
4 months ago#2
I have it on my other computer it's just like SATA. Maybe latency since it's directly to the motherboard but difference is so small.

What's great about M.2 SATA no extra wire. I would buy 8 slot card for 8x SATA SSDs.

Edited: I found one company fit 4 m.2 SATA. So having 8 M.2 SSDs on one side is possible.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
4 months ago#3
Priced the same, I would get the small M.2 drive that's neatly tucked away on the motherboard.
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

User Info: Rraawwrr

Rraawwrr
4 months ago#4
M.2 CAN run hot depending on the setup. Doesn't seem to affect gaming performance but heavy read/write programs might be.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
4 months ago#5
i'd pick the m2 version if my motherboard had an m2 slot
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#6
GTRagnarok posted...
Priced the same, I would get the small M.2 drive that's neatly tucked away on the motherboard.

Yup, less cables to dick around with, makes it more tidy. Got a spot for another one. As for speed TC, unless you get PCI-Express SSD they all pretty much run the same I believe. And with SLI being worthless, I got a spare spot for that as well. Winning.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SATA SSDs... M.2 vs. 2.5"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived