This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any reason to have GoG?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any reason to have GoG?

User Info: TheFeshPince

TheFeshPince
2 months ago#51
It's pretty simple... no DRM.
http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/pqx20bA.jpg | http://youtu.be/HeIkk6Yo0s8

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#52
Djoser2000 posted...
SnakePlisken94 posted...
no reason at all

its junk

Explain

He won't. That's his MO - come to a thread say something that amounts to "It's bad" and leave.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Suuns

Suuns
2 months ago#53
arleas posted...
LeFeverBeaver posted...
I wish there was an option to buy from whomever and then have it work with Steam

There is.

https://i.imgtc.com/vuDOBDI.png

wow more questions on this feature.
For example if I buy a game from gog and have it on gog galaxy, can I add it to steam as well?
What about battle.net?
and If I add a game with this feature, will it list on store page that I have it in my library?
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
2 months ago#54
all adding a non-steam game does is let you launch the executable through the steam client. steam won't know or care what the program is beyond what you name it, since you can technically add any program's exe (even non-games) to steam and name it whatever you like. you won't get any metadata on the game, workshop support, time played, etc.

personally, the only benefit i get out of it is using it to add source ports, or adding games that i want to play on my tv through big picture mode

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
2 months ago#55
I recently bought games on GoG because price alone.

Support the competition or else capitalism will cry.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.

vlado_e
2 months ago#56
Suuns posted...
For example if I buy a game from gog and have it on gog galaxy, can I add it to steam as well?

Yes.

Suuns posted...
What about battle.net?

Yes.

Suuns posted...
and If I add a game with this feature, will it list on store page that I have it in my library?

No. What it allows you to do is have the game listed in Steam and launch it through there. This brings in some Steam functionality - you can use the Steam overlay in-game but you won't get the same stuff as if you've launched a Steam game. E.g., if you have Frostpunk on Steam you'd get the community guides, the forums, etc. If you have the GOG version of the game and launch it through steam, you won't get immediate access to the same thing - you'll sill have to browse around to find them.

Another Steam feature you get is using the Steam Controller. You have to add a game in Steam and launch it through there to use the controller.

But other than that, the feature doesn't transfer the license from GOG to Steam or anything like that. Steam doesn't even attempt to recognise the game you have - it cares not what the executable you added really is. You can even add MS Paint and launch it through Steam, if you wish. You can change the name of that to be whatever you want. Steam won't correct you or attempt to do anything with that information - it wont look up if you already have the game, won't offer you to buy the game, or anything similar.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#57
pipebomb_phil posted...
FYI, it's up to the publishers or developers if they want to implement DRM for their games on Steam. In other words, there are games on Steam that don't have DRM.

Steam itself is DRM
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

vlado_e
2 months ago#58
Fade2black001 posted...
pipebomb_phil posted...
FYI, it's up to the publishers or developers if they want to implement DRM for their games on Steam. In other words, there are games on Steam that don't have DRM.

Steam itself is DRM

No. As a developer, you can decide not to use that. Bindings of Isaac is an example - install the game, then copy it to a different machine with no Internet access and it would still work.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any reason to have GoG?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived