This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some At&T guys are offering me some fiber optic internet plan...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Some At&T guys are offering me some fiber optic internet plan...

User Info: iCurious

iCurious
3 months ago#1
I've had comcast for years. We've got a 1TB data cap. AT&T has always been in the area, but they were s***. Now they're offering 1gigabit speed and unlimited data.

I'm concerned. My dad has just accepted their offer. Has a grand mistake just been made, or is AT&T stepping up their game? They're outside my front door discussing terms right this second...
"Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat."

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#2
iCurious posted...
Now they're offering 1gigabit speed and unlimited data.

READ THE FINE PRINT.

I'm betting that the speed/data deal is a limited offer and after the promotion is over you will have to call and threaten to leave EVERY YEAR (or however long) to keep those rates. Some people like that s***... they love to haggle and then feel like they got a good deal because they talked them down. I prefer you give me a decent deal to begin with and don't waste my time...and I wouldn't threaten to leave, I'd just leave (after finding a better deal).

iCurious posted...
is AT&T stepping up their game?

They are probably trying to recover some market share in your area and once the bigwigs are satisfied with the numbers you could count on your service to start going to s***.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#3
Can always go back. This is why competition is good. Also Fiber Optic is god tier internet.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: iCurious

iCurious
3 months ago#4
arleas posted...
READ THE FINE PRINT.

I'm betting that the speed/data deal is a limited offer and after the promotion is over you will have to call and threaten to leave EVERY YEAR (or however long) to keep those rates. Some people like that s***... they love to haggle and then feel like they got a good deal because they talked them down. I prefer you give me a decent deal to begin with and don't waste my time...and I wouldn't threaten to leave, I'd just leave (after finding a better deal).

Noted. He's signing some things now. He very nearly decided to switch our phones over from T-Mobile to At&T as well. These salesmen are good at what they do >_>. They came by earlier today and I ignored the door. They came back again though.

At least I can count on a year of fiber optic. Unless AT&T is more strict with what I do online...that could be a problem. Never got any kind of warning from Comcast lol. Which isn't to say I'm doing anything all that shady, but still.

arleas posted...
They are probably trying to recover some market share in your area and once the bigwigs are satisfied with the numbers you could count on your service to start going to s***.

captsplatter_1 posted...
Can always go back. This is why competition is good. Also Fiber Optic is god tier internet.

Yeah, guess there's nothing stopping us from returning. But I don't think Comcast is even offering fiber optic in this area so I'm not sure how bad it could possibly get.
"Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat."

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#5
iCurious posted...
He very nearly decided to switch our phones over from T-Mobile to At&T as well.

Of course. They aren't there just to get you to switch internet, they want phones, TV, everything they can get you to do, and somehow getting everything from them is going to save you money.

I don't think Comcast is much better, and as long as they're both trying hard to compete against each other you can keep playing them off of each other and get a good deal, but I somehow doubt that situation will last that long.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: SScorpio

SScorpio
3 months ago#6
Only issue with them is having to use their s***ty router. Though there are currently ways to bypass it if you have Internet only.

Standard pricing for Internet-only is $70 for 100/100 and $90 for 1000/1000. The 100/100 plan has a 1TB cap, while the 1Gb plan doesn't. Bundling in TV or phone removes the cap.

User Info: Silver Shadow X

Silver Shadow X
3 months ago#7
SScorpio posted...
Only issue with them is having to use their s***ty router. Though there are currently ways to bypass it if you have Internet only.

Standard pricing for Internet-only is $70 for 100/100 and $90 for 1000/1000. The 100/100 plan has a 1TB cap, while the 1Gb plan doesn't. Bundling in TV or phone removes the cap.

What's wrong with their router?
"Not to him who is offensive to us are we most unfair, but to him who doth not concern us at all." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

User Info: northnorth

northnorth
3 months ago#8
Right after my dad died, AT&T came around and offered my Mom this package, keep in mind she's elderly.. anyway the package was less than she was paying, but like double the internet speed, more channels, all kinds of s***. On the day she got it installed, she found out it was HALF the internet speed, and if a TV was on an HD channel it would take away even more from the internet speeds. The techs explained all this to her. And upon looking at her contract, they had told her a bunch of lies and got her to sign on for different things.

She called me. I came by and unhooked all their s***. Called them. Canceled the service. And got a refund of everything she had already paid for.

I refuse to ever consider them again after how those employees/sales people treated her.

TLDR, be careful.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 months ago#9
northnorth posted...
Right after my dad died, AT&T came around and offered my Mom this package, keep in mind she's elderly.. anyway the package was less than she was paying, but like double the internet speed, more channels, all kinds of s***. On the day she got it installed, she found out it was HALF the internet speed, and if a TV was on an HD channel it would take away even more from the internet speeds. The techs explained all this to her. And upon looking at her contract, they had told her a bunch of lies and got her to sign on for different things.

She called me. I came by and unhooked all their s***. Called them. Canceled the service. And got a refund of everything she had already paid for.

I refuse to ever consider them again after how those employees/sales people treated her.

TLDR, be careful.

Is "elderly" code word for "stupid"?

Protip: read things you sign
Wait, what? I heard about the Netflix thing but how does the music thing work? You get partial songs or what? - Fade2Scrub420

User Info: kbe2k2

kbe2k2
3 months ago#10
Always call your current ISP and tell them the plan that's being offered and that you're thinking about switching they might offer you something better. It worked for me when I was on a crappy usage cap and another ISP rolled in and started offering unlimited I was going to switch so I called my ISP and they put me on unlimited which I guess is for their business packages I don't know but I have unlimited now at no extra cost.

Competition is great.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Some At&T guys are offering me some fiber optic internet plan...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived