This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Vive Pro pretty much the Vive 2? Good time to buy the original?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the Vive Pro pretty much the Vive 2? Good time to buy the original?

User Info: I_Heart_Eevee

I_Heart_Eevee
5 months ago#1
So I'm wanting to finally get a VR headset this year. Been waiting on the Vive to lower in price. I honestly can't even remember what the original price was, but the $500 that it is now seems like a good price.

I figured by now there would be a Vive 2 and I haven't followed the news at all to know if the Pro is supposed to be the new Vive. The Pro is way too much money though, and I'm still using an RX 390, so I doubt I could handle it anyway.

Speaking of the Pro, why does the headset cost $800, but the kit costs $1400? That means you could buy the headset alone for $800 and buy the Vive 1 for $500 and cost less and have an extra wired headset. Or am I missing something?

Lastly, any other headsets that can really compete with the Vive and Rift now? I'm not interested in the Rift (unless someone can really sell me on it).

User Info: Ultoman2

Ultoman2
5 months ago#2
muh graphical fidelity
History is only as accurate as the Author of the Book.

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
5 months ago#3
Just get the vive. Rift sucks by virtue of being owned by facebook, vive pro sucks due to the wtf pricing and the fact most systems aren't gonna run it so well. There's some new HMDs floating around but they aren't as good of an overall experience as the vive. Once you get past the screen door effect and start reading about the problems other people have with other headsets, resolution be damned, you'll see why I'm recommending this.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
5 months ago#4
No, Vive Pro is basically Vive 1.10. Vive 2 is likely a 2020 thing. As for the cost, it's because HTC are price gouging.

Rift is basically the same thing as Vive, except it has a higher angular resolution, better sweetspot, better controllers, better system software, better Home environment, is more comfortable, and is cheaper even with a 3rd sensor.

And Windows MR headsets are on sale right now for around $250. They are better than PSVR but not quite as good as Rift / Vive.

Either get a Rift or WIndows MR if you really don't want to spend too much.

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
5 months ago#5
Yes, get a rift so facebook can look into your home with tracking cameras.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: I_Heart_Eevee

I_Heart_Eevee
5 months ago#6
DarthBuzzer posted...
No, Vive Pro is basically Vive 1.10. Vive 2 is likely a 2020 thing. As for the cost, it's because HTC are price gouging.

Rift is basically the same thing as Vive, except it has a higher angular resolution, better sweetspot, better controllers, better system software, better Home environment, is more comfortable, and is cheaper even with a 3rd sensor.

And Windows MR headsets are on sale right now for around $250. They are better than PSVR but not quite as good as Rift / Vive.

Rift sounds like a bigger pain for roomscale, which is what I'm super interested in. I have plenty of space for a big area, so I really want to try that out. Rift sounds like it was meant as a sit-down experience and then poorly modified to compete with the Vive, and the limited roomscaling sounds very annoying and lame. The controllers sound better, but Vive still sounds like the better all-around package.

Price isn't really a concern. I just like to feel I'm not wasting my money. When VR came out, it didn't really have enough content and I couldn't justify the price. When it had enough, the next problem was the looming thought that the technology is now "old," so it'll be discounted soon. Now feels like around the time it should be at that sweet spot.

MrSprings posted...

Too bad I live in China, where Facebook is blocked and my Supreme Ruler for Life Xi Jinping would not want any other nation having as much information on its residents as he does.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
5 months ago#7
Ultoman2 posted...
muh graphical fidelity

But way more expensive.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
5 months ago#8
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...

Rift sounds like a bigger pain for roomscale, which is what I'm super interested in. I have plenty of space for a big area, so I really want to try that out. Rift sounds like it was meant as a sit-down experience and then poorly modified to compete with the Vive, and the limited roomscaling sounds very annoying and lame. The controllers sound better, but Vive still sounds like the better all-around package.

Price isn't really a concern. I just like to feel I'm not wasting my money. When VR came out, it didn't really have enough content and I couldn't justify the price. When it had enough, the next problem was the looming thought that the technology is now "old," so it'll be discounted soon. Now feels like around the time it should be at that sweet spot.

MrSprings posted...

Too bad I live in China, where Facebook is blocked and my Supreme Ruler for Life Xi Jinping would not want any other nation having as much information on its residents as he does.

Isn't he suppose to step down once he hits like 68 years old or something? See what happens then, he might try to change the laws.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
5 months ago#9
DarthBuzzer posted...
No, Vive Pro is basically Vive 1.10

About the only thing said that isn't highly opinionated.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 months ago#10
The only thing that is 2.0 about the vive pro is the lighthouses and sensors.

Everything else is a minor upgrade from the regular vive.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the Vive Pro pretty much the Vive 2? Good time to buy the original?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived