This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How should I go about upgrading my gaming PC that I built in 2014?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How should I go about upgrading my gaming PC that I built in 2014?

User Info: Kitepitou

Kitepitou
4 months ago#1
Don't care about streaming, editing stuff or anything of sorts, just want a build that can get these days games running at 60fps/1080p.

My build served me well until I tried AC Origins and I had to play it at 30fps while almost every graphical setting was on high, so I guess it's a sign that it's time to upgrade?

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff so I always think that the larger the number of the thing's version that I got, the better it'll be.. lol. And all this talking about overclocking goes right out of my ear.

Here's what I got:

Windows 10

i5-6500

RAM: 16GB

GTX 970

I'm guessing the RAM is fine but I'll need to change my CPU and GPU.. what CPU should I get? I've seen a lot of developers put i7s as the recommended CPUs these days and yet I see people here saying that some i5s and i3s are more than enough for 60fps/1080p gaming.. And what about the GPU? What do you guys think I should get?
"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions." FemShep - Mass Effect 2.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 months ago#2
nothing, maybe buy a newer GPU if you really feel the need. otherwise you're fine for 1080p 60fps.
People die when they are killed.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola

User Info: Kitepitou

Kitepitou
4 months ago#3
monkmith posted...
nothing, maybe buy a newer GPU if you really feel the need. otherwise you're fine for 1080p 60fps.

But I couldn't play Origins at 50-60fps? I'd love to try something that'd get that running at an acceptable framerate, maybe I should just upgrade the GPU like you said, but what would you recommend?
"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions." FemShep - Mass Effect 2.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 months ago#4
Kitepitou posted...
monkmith posted...

But I couldn't play Origins at 50-60fps? I'd love to try something that'd get that running at an acceptable framerate, maybe I should just upgrade the GPU like you said, but what would you recommend?

the only meaningful upgrade you could make would be a GPU, maybe a 1070/1080/1080Ti. not sure which you need for Origins, but i hear its not a well optimized game.
People die when they are killed.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#5
AC Origins is one of the, if not the most, bad cases for a quad core right now. An i7 would indeed be a great improvement for that game.
Most games will still run alot better than that game on your CPU however.

The best CPU you can get is either the i7 6700 or 7700. Later CPUs require a new motherboard.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
4 months ago#6
Doesn't the game run like 3 separate drm programs in the background that choke the life out of an i5?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#7
monkmith posted...
Kitepitou posted...
monkmith posted...

the only meaningful upgrade you could make would be a GPU, maybe a 1070/1080/1080Ti. not sure which you need for Origins, but i hear its not a well optimized game.

Its all the DRM it has hurts it, while Denivo I heard isn't that bad with only like a couple frames it effects, the other forms of DRM it has really kills it. Playing it at 30fps on PC is kind of redundent, so I just played it on the PS4 Pro instead. Especially since consoles got Animus hacks now. I would wait until next gen to get your new cards honestly.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Conker

Conker
4 months ago#8
At 1080p, I probably wouldn’t consider it worth upgrading for a couple games you play that you have to turn down to ‘high.’

Maybe if you were running low-med and thought the game looked like trash or something, but high isn’t bad for a recent game on a 4yr old setup.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: NuclearHendrix

NuclearHendrix
4 months ago#9
Is the 970 overclocked?
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
4 months ago#10
Its the 970. I can get 60 fps in origins though there is a good amount of drops, it usually stays well above 30. Upgrade the card first, then see how you do with that.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ripjaws ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, 2x Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How should I go about upgrading my gaming PC that I built in 2014?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived