This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For those who have lost majority interest in gaming, what do you still play?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. For those who have lost majority interest in gaming, what do you still play?

User Info: CommunismFTW

CommunismFTW
2 months ago#1
For example: If you used to game nonstop as a teenager/young adult/whenever you did but nowadays it's a little bit here and there, your big library of choices yields apathy, and when you do decide to play something it's for an hour or less then you get itchy to do something else.

What do you guys play these days? For me, having fit into this boat perfectly since about 2016, I usually just play RTS, simulator, horror or 4x games these days. Once in a while a semi-serious FPS like Arma 3 or Rising Storm Vietnam, but usually just for a match or two and I get bored.

I tend to avoid RPG's or long ass SP campaigns like the plague because I can't stand grinding, loot-based reward systems and current trends leaning towards replacing skill or strategy with whatever arbitrary loot system says you should have at a given time. One reviewer put that all best to me, mocking that some bosses in destiny 2 take three weeks of constant fire to beat.
Since only from below can one better see the heights.
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg

User Info: Chargers_31

Chargers_31
2 months ago#2
I'm getting to be the same. I can't keep interest in a game. I tried picking up Skyrim again and I put it down immediately. I usually spend the most time in strategy games like Civ, Football Manager, XCOM, Rimworld, Factorio, Banished, etc. but that's only because I get Video Game ADD and have to start a new save every hour.

I did just pick up Overwatch this weekend and have been having fun. First time I've played a game for 6 hours straight in probably a while.
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SDSU-DANCE.gif

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
2 months ago#3
Warframe and Path of Exile mostly.

In the past year I've bought Divinity OS2 and Slay the Spire. Only other game I want this year is probably DQ11. Possibly Shadow of the Tomb Raider if we can get it down to $30.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: CommunismFTW

CommunismFTW
2 months ago#4
Chargers_31 posted...
I'm getting to be the same. I can't keep interest in a game. I tried picking up Skyrim again and I put it down immediately. I usually spend the most time in strategy games like Civ, Football Manager, XCOM, Rimworld, Factorio, Banished, etc. but that's only because I get Video Game ADD and have to start a new save every hour.

I did just pick up Overwatch this weekend and have been having fun. First time I've played a game for 6 hours straight in probably a while.

We're on pretty similar trends. I played virtually all those games within the last two years, and have been going back to Rimworld at least for a few hours a month. It's fun, and very polished. Factorio, Banished both ran their courses for me but were good.

I liked Overwatch but got tired of the toxic community. I hit a certain bronze level and made the mistake of trying competitive and you'd think they were in Jigsaw-tier scenarios of having to scream about team comp or else a bear trap would clamp their nuts. And even when I tried to do my best to strategize, they'd find something else to complain about. Much like Rocket League, I'm trying to have fun, not git gud.
Since only from below can one better see the heights.
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
2 months ago#5
I still play a lot of big games but I've also tried holding back to save money, and because a lot of big games are either all starting to look and play the same or because they just suck and are disappointing.

- way too many games focus too much on online crap or charging the consumer for everything using gimmicks instead of just focusing on good single player content. I like a good online experience too but most of the time you're sitting around waiting for a lobby to fill up. If I just want to game I want good single player content that is available when I want it.

- almost all games are now going for the Ubisoft Open-World Checklist Experience. This is fine if done well but a lot of the time it makes games feel like chores and makes me wonder a bit too much about why I'm playing video games.

Anyway the games I still play:

Company of Heroes 2. It's fun in skirmish mode against bots. I can pause it, save battles and load them later. And the AI is usually good. I play it every day when I can.

Shogun 2: every few months I'll load it up, put some good playlists on to listen to, and slaughter some shameful samurai scum.

Games I play regularly when I have nothing else to play: Dragon's Dogma, Red Faction Guerilla, Dying Light
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
2 months ago#6
i just stopped playing most triple A stuff

nothing but boring open worlds,boring collectibles and boring fetch quests

i've been replaying DS2 and 3 nonstop lately.There's something about these games that makes you want to play them again and again.Other than that i really enjoyed going though divinity 2.
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
2 months ago#7
While I've never been one to game "non-stop," yeah I can start to feel my interest waning.

I mean I still play my fair share, but overall I just don't have that same desire to play as much as I used to. Guess that's because of that whole growing up thing lol. And I don't mean that in a negative way about gaming, at all. I think it's just that when you get older, your brain just starts lean towards wanting to do other things.

So while I've still been playing games recently (FrostPunk, started Dark Souls again, trying to slog through FFXV-not working, at all,) overall I definitely don't have the same desire to play that I used to. I've put in my time though. Plenty.

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
2 months ago#8
I get nostalgic and boot up a Final Fantasy...

Except this time, I gave myself objectives. So I'm getting all Steam Achievements I'd started with Lightning Returns FF13, but we'll see as it goes.
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG
(message deleted)

User Info: DaVeBoY

DaVeBoY
2 months ago#10
It's tough yeah? Juggling work with video games.

I pretty much play only on weekends now. So starting something complicated like Saints Row or GTA or Witcher really requires that they hook onto my attention.

By the time the next weekend rolls around, I can't remember whether I've to press L2 + Square to shoot or whatever.

I must be getting old, so I just fall back on the classics like Team Fortress. Pick it up, suck at it, no one scolds you, life goes on.
Not changing this sig until MCMG vs Staniels happens
Started on 01/05/2009
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. For those who have lost majority interest in gaming, what do you still play?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived