This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Discussion: besides "looks" currently pc gaming is the same as console

User Info: Gdourado

Gdourado
6 months ago#1
Hello, how are you?

I was thinking about this today so decided to write here for discussion.

Everyone knows and it is a fact that a current gaming pc can be way more powerful than a console, even the mid range refreshed consoles.

We also know that a pc can be used to perform tasks a console can't like productivity and content creation.

And finally we also know that a gaming pc in today's market to have better performance than a console it is two to four times more expensive.

But all that is besides the point.

What I am looking to discuss is how games are the same between consoles and pc and how you get nothing more in the way of the experience in pc.

Current gen consoles are said to be underpowered.

And on the cpu side of things, that can be true, since the jaguar cores on consoles are weak and don't offer much processing power compared to even the lower end current pc processors.

And that leads me to my point.

The cpu is responsible for achieving high framerates since it has to feed data to the gpu.

And that is a big difference since pc games can be played from 60fps all the way to 240 depending on the hardware.

But the cpu is also responsible for other things that can have impact on the actual game and the gaming experience.

Things like npc population on an open world game, physics, objects, particles, enemy and npc ai, weather simulation, and much more.

Now, since the consoles cpu is limited, it is safe to assume that multiplat games are developed in its core for consoles and then have options unlocked outside its core design to scale with pc hardware.

Like it is easy to unlock the framerate of a game or allow the engine to render at higher resolution or draw the world further.

But if a you want a game like the witcher 3 or far cry 5 for example to have more npcs, to have better Ai, to have differences that actually enhance, change or move the gaming experience forward, a developer would basically have to do extensive different core programing and almost do two different games, one for pc, and one for console.

And of course that is not happening as it is not economically viable.

So today we have basically the same game, same game mechanics, same world, same game play that has more eye candy on pc and can scale the looks based on the hardware.

But the game is the same.

On far cry 5, on ps4 you are still doing the same running and gunning as on the pc, with the same enemies, behaving the same and all that.

For me this makes a great case for consoles as they are the lower denominator and games are developed for the lower denominator and allowed to scale just the looks for the higher end, and not the other way around.

What are your thoughts on this?

Would love to read them.

Cheers

User Info: Samuri

Samuri
6 months ago#2
Is this like a poem? lol
3DS FC- 2449-4639-0972

User Info: Darkanagar

Darkanagar
6 months ago#3
Provisional
User Since: May 2018
Active Posts: 1
Total Badges: 0

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
6 months ago#4
First, learn how to English. I'm not reading your haiku. Second, I'm not reading all this stupid s*** anyway. Go back to your farm peasant
Wait, what? I heard about the Netflix thing but how does the music thing work? You get partial songs or what? - Fade2Scrub420

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
6 months ago#5
Gdourado posted...
What I am looking to discuss is how games are the same between consoles and pc and how you get nothing more in the way of the experience in pc.

mods.

you can now close this account and make a new one for your next troll attempt.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: Boge

Boge
6 months ago#6
It's true. A multiplatform game basically plays the same on PC and on console.

You can't underrate the impact of higher resolution and framerate though. A small example: I was playing Forza Horizon on my PC. My PC is midrange, so tweaking graphics for 60fps or maxing graphics and locking to 30fps was something I was playing with. Driving around at 30fps, I would view off to the side while searching for barns. I couldn't see anything, it was so blurry at 30fps. Kicking it up to 60fps made all the difference. The clarity was night and day. A similar situation can be said for resolution. Now, I haven't gone above 1080p since I don't want to afford 4K hardware, and I'm afraid once I get to 4K I won't be happy being lower. So until I get 4K@60fps at a relatively affordable price, I won't bother. Anyway, the clarity of the picture can help you see things you might not be able to see easily at 1080p, especially distant objects. So, those are just a couple of examples where the better performance and graphics can help the gameplay experience.

Also, mods can really enhance a games experience. Tweaks, added gameplay options, etc. Mods are really only limited to the modders imagination and effort. And lastly, controls can make a huge difference. I tried playing Xcom 2 with a gamepad and just couldn't do it. A mouse is where it's at. I can't even play a shooter with a gamepad. It's no wonder consoles have auto aim enabled.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
6 months ago#7
2/10

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
6 months ago#8
I stopped reading after the first couple sentences....I fell asleep.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
6 months ago#9
If the ONLY thing you do on a PC is play multiplats then yes, play on consoles.

Other than that scenario......no. PC’s are vastly superior.

User Info: Gdourado

Gdourado
6 months ago#10
GoIrish80 posted...
If the ONLY thing you do on a PC is play multiplats then yes, play on consoles.

Other than that scenario......no. PC’s are vastly superior.

What other kind of AAA single player or story driven games are there currently on pc that aren't multiplats?
Pc is also great for multi-player and competitive games of course.
But for casual gamers that only care for single player games, pc currently has a lack of exclusives.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Discussion: besides "looks" currently pc gaming is the same as console
  • Topic Archived