This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking to upgrade my home network, need dual access point recommendations

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
7 months ago#1
Trying to pick up everything for about $250, I don't mind inching up to $300 or so if it's worth it though.

Right now, I'm set on a $95 modem ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZGXJKM/ ) and $55 switch ( https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B01AX8XHRQ/ ) so I've got about $100 left to play with.

What I really want to do is have an access point on each end of my house, one connected directly to the switch and the other via powerline, that I can swap between fairly seamlessly. I currently have my wrt54g on one end and the reception on the far end is really weak/spotty. It's been dying on me though, requiring resets every couple of days if not daily, so I'm more motivated than the last time I made this topic to go ahead and get this all done.

They don't have to be the fastest things in the world, range/reliability is more important to me, the biggest downloads I ever do wirelessly are my phone's app updates which happen automatically overnight. If I can get dual band APs for $50-75 each then great but I'm fine with 2.4ghz only.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
7 months ago#2
Have you used powerline before? It can be pretty terrible.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

PhilOnDez
7 months ago#3
bump
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there

User Info: CloneTheHero

CloneTheHero
7 months ago#4
Renraku_San posted...

depends on the age of your house and how old your wiring is. if your house is old as sh** and you havent upgraded your wiring, powerline isnt the answer.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/laughter.gif

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
7 months ago#5
Renraku_San posted...

I have a powerline adapter. No loss or if there's lose it's only 1%. I have a 50mbps line and constantly get 50mbps up and down through my TP LINK powerline. I can only say good things about it.

I also use a TP Link Dual Band Router for only $60. Spent around $100 for my home network upgrades.
AND DAMN IS IT WORTH IT.
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
7 months ago#6
PhilOnDez posted...
bump

Answer my f***ing question.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

PhilOnDez
7 months ago#7
MasterFeeler posted...
I also use a TP Link Dual Band Router for only $60. Spent around $100 for my home network upgrades.
AND DAMN IS IT WORTH IT.

Do you have a specific model? I'm mostly looking into building my own pfsense router at the moment, hoping I can find a cheap-ish sandy/ivy Bridge era motherboard, and then I can get an i3 2120 for about $30, I have some ram, an ssd, PSU laying around so the only other thing I should need to buy will be an Intel nic with 2-4 ports

User Info: IceBawls

IceBawls
7 months ago#8
Have you looked into Ubiuqiti? They make good equipment. I have their EdgeRouter Lite and a AC wireless access point, no problems.
i7 4790 | 16GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2

PhilOnDez
7 months ago#9
Yeah, the edgerouter x was what I was looking at first since I liked the compact size and really simple looks, though watching a few videos I'm not sure it's beefy enough for me. The edgerouter lite is actually what I was considering before deciding to build my own. I might still go with it but I can build my own for close to the same price that will be a lot more powerful since I have some parts I'm not using atm. The lite is more powerful than I need right now but not quite adequate for gigabit internet which I might upgrade to in the next couple of months.

Building/configuring my own would be a learning experience for me as well, not to mention it just sounds fun since I'd likely be building my own enclosure for both it and the switch I want

User Info: IceBawls

IceBawls
7 months ago#10
I ran PFSense for quite some time on a few different builds. My first one was on a slot Pentium 2 with 128mb SDRam and it was great. After that it went onto a Pentium 4 with 256 RDRam. Later on, I worked for an IT company that sold their own branded router... which really was just a rebranded PFSense running on an AMD Geode on an Alix board. which I used for a few years. Our lead engineer was friends with one of the PFSense developers, so when we wanted new features he would build them for a small donation. I think a few ended up in the standard builds, but it's been some years now and I don't remember what they were.

Anyway, the Lite would get the job done and honestly I don't think you would get less of a learning experience from it over PFSense, it's just a different software setup. It is fun to build one and since it is an x86 pc if you wanted to try another distro you can. Either will work for you just fine. The EdgeRouter X is impressive for the dollar amount tho, but if you look around on amazon or E-bay you may be able to snag a Lite for something around $50. I got mine on amazon for $50, it said it was used, but it was packaged perfectly in the box. Box did look previously opened.

Currently, I run the EdgeRouter Lite with an 8 port PoE Netgear swtich and a Unifi AC Pro. Home networking can be fun, I even installed a 6U rack under the stairs to my basement and wired a patch panel in it.
i7 4790 | 16GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking to upgrade my home network, need dual access point recommendations
  • Topic Archived