This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me or is Morrowind a little difficult at first?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it just me or is Morrowind a little difficult at first?

User Info: pipebomb_phil

pipebomb_phil
3 months ago#1
Just started playing Morrowind again after so many years and I'm really enjoying it. I just wish it had voice acting because I don't want to read everything, but that's just me.

Anyways, I'm slowly getting stronger in the game but i got my ass kicked by some guy who summoned skelletons and attacked me with an electric shock. I barely did any damage to him. I'm still at the beginning of the game and this is my second question for the Fighter's Guild (in Balmora) I think. Although I don't know if that guy is part of the quest or not. I'm doing the quest where I have to kill some egg mine poachers or something. I found this guy on a bridge and he attacks me as soon as he sees me.

I struggled with some rats earlier in a quest but had to get better armor and a better sword. I almost got killed by a large lizard animal. I had to run my way back to the town so the guards could kill it for me. But I encountered that same animal yesterday and killed it. So I'm slowly getting more powerful and that feels satisfying.

P.S. I went to some Blade member's house to rest and some a****** interrupted my sleep and killed me. I don't even know who he was or why he attacked me. IIRC he was wearing dark armor. I just thought that was funny.

P.S.2. I couldn't get into this game when I was in 8th grade or whatever back on the original Xbox. But I'm really enjoying it right now.
#pipebomb_phil
http://i.imgur.com/atWQoAs.gif

User Info: thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare
3 months ago#2
The first worm you get to once killed me due to me not connecting any hits.
Give everyone enough guns and eventually we'll find out who we have to shoot to get some decent gun control.
The cranky hermit 3 months ago#3
Yes, it's difficult at first. And that's also the most interesting part of the game. Eventually you get strong enough that nothing's much of a threat any more, and then the game is less interesting (though the expansions help with that).

P.S. I went to some Blade member's house to rest and some a****** interrupted my sleep and killed me. I don't even know who he was or why he attacked me. IIRC he was wearing dark armor. I just thought that was funny.

There's a reason for that. Check your journal.

Note that in the original version of the game, this did not happen until you installed the Tribunal expansion, which most people back then wouldn't have done until after beating the main campaign (or at least getting bored with it). But nowadays with Steam/GOG releases it's installed by default, so this event tends to happen a lot sooner in the game than intended.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 months ago#4
thegreatsquare posted...
The first worm you get to once killed me due to me not connecting any hits.

Having high fatigue (don't run, that green bar should be near full when your actually fighting)
Charge your attacks, spamming attacks likely won't connect.
Put some points into agility, this is one of the most important stats for connecting attacks.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Interfusor

Interfusor
3 months ago#5
pipebomb_phil posted...

Just try to kill him, even early on it shouldn't be that hard. His armor is really good if you're specced light armor and if not you can sell it for a pretty penny.
I am not economically viable.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#6
Yeah, Morrowind is really hard in the beginning even when you only fight exactly who/what you're intended to fight, and fighting anything off the beaten path is a recipe for disaster. Then you level up your key stats a bit and get some real gear and it gets a lot easier. On my last game I ended up with enchanted gear that would regenerate my life and stamina at a rapid pace and I could spam attacks or stand in place getting hit without much risk of dying. I guess I went a little overboard gearing myself up...

User Info: pipebomb_phil

pipebomb_phil
3 months ago#7
Alright thanks for the tips everyone!

How long is the game + expansions?

And if I see that guy again, I'll make sure to kill him. He caught me off guard the first time. Lol
#pipebomb_phil
http://i.imgur.com/atWQoAs.gif

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#8
How long the game is depends a lot on how you're playing it. It doesn't have Fast Travel like Oblivion and Skyrim do but it has Divine Intervention and Mark+Recall, plus silt striders and boats, so you can figure out the optimal ways to get around. Speed enchantments are useful too, including some special unique boots that when used creatively can make a huge difference in travel times.

But I'd say there are a couple hundred hours of content. One of the things that makes Morrowind different from, say, Skyrim is that in Skyrim you can basically walk up to a well-established faction that's been around for centuries or millennia, do a couple of favors for them, and they'll elect you president. You'll barely be done introducing yourself by the time you've become their lord and master. In Morrowind, you have to put in the time to actually become the head of a faction, and there are a lot more factions. Plus, you have to actually explore areas to find your objectives instead of just following quest markers. That, and some dungeons such as dwemer (dwarven) ruins can be reasonably large. It's a big game.

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
3 months ago#9
The difficulty of Morrowind is, in general, heavily dependent on two things. What you fight, and how well built you are to fight with your weapon of choice.

The world doesn't use (much) level-scaling, so this isn't like Skyrim or Oblivion where most dungeons you walk into will adjust the enemies to your level. Enemies just are what they are, so if you walk into a level 20 enemy when you're level 2 you're going to be in big trouble. And since the combat is extremely heavily stat-based, your success even against an enemy around your level will depend on if you've allocated your stats suitably. Agility and the respective weapon skill adds to your chance to hit, if those are both low you'll have a tough time. But on the flip side, if your stats are good compared to the enemy's you can just mash the attack button and win. This is what melee combat tends to boil down to later on once your combat stats near their caps.

There's also an actual difficulty selector, but I've never messed with it. The default difficulty seems pretty well balanced.
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
3 months ago#10
sure is, especially since the combat is dice roll based and if you roll poorly its a complete miss. always made 'claiming' my first home in seyda neen harder then i wanted.
People die when they are killed.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it just me or is Morrowind a little difficult at first?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived