This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok PC boot times wtf

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ok PC boot times wtf

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#11
zhenghan posted...
your computer isn't fully stable unless it can be turned back on following a sleep and hibernate though IMO

There are so many little things that can affect sleep. (most of them driver and device related) More often then not, a lot manfs either do an "eh, good enough" on the drivers, or they never put the updated drivers on the site for users to download that fix the issue. Now, I don't have an issue hunting down a driver, but I can't expect everyone else to do so. Also a good way to install something malicious if you're not careful. Hibernate generally behaves in my experience, but when it fails, it fails hard.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#12
Foxfire15 posted...
zhenghan posted...
your computer isn't fully stable unless it can be turned back on following a sleep and hibernate though IMO

There are so many little things that can affect sleep. (most of them driver and device related) More often then not, a lot manfs either do an "eh, good enough" on the drivers, or they never put the updated drivers on the site for users to download that fix the issue. Now, I don't have an issue hunting down a driver, but I can't expect everyone else to do so. Also a good way to install something malicious if you're not careful. Hibernate generally behaves in my experience, but when it fails, it fails hard.

Good thing I don't have to worry about everyone else, only need to care about my own computer lol. But yea, at least to me I need everything in working order including both hibernate and sleep.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#13
zhenghan posted...
Foxfire15 posted...
zhenghan posted...

Good thing I don't have to worry about everyone else, only need to care about my own computer lol. But yea, at least to me I need everything in working order including both hibernate and sleep.

Work IT, You'll loathe sleep. :P

User Info: untamed_squall

untamed_squall
4 weeks ago#14
I don't know why, but an improper shut off of windows 10 always takes my computer longer to boot up from. After a normal shut off, it's only a matter of a few seconds.

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#15
untamed_squall posted...
I don't know why, but an improper shut off of windows 10 always takes my computer longer to boot up from. After a normal shut off, it's only a matter of a few seconds.

Ah, that's an easy one. When you shut down windows 10 (and 8) it doesn't actually "shut down". What is does it close all your apps and log you off, and then puts the system and most services into a special hibernation state. When it gets forced off or restarted, this isn't the case, so it actually has to load everything back up and restart it all. If you hold shift and click shutdown, the system will do a full shutdown instead.

User Info: Cobra1010

Cobra1010
4 weeks ago#16
Foxfire15 posted...
untamed_squall posted...

Ah, that's an easy one. When you shut down windows 10 (and 8) it doesn't actually "shut down". What is does it close all your apps and log you off, and then puts the system and most services into a special hibernation state. When it gets forced off or restarted, this isn't the case, so it actually has to load everything back up and restart it all. If you hold shift and click shutdown, the system will do a full shutdown instead.

@Foxfire15
@untamed_squall

s*** you are right. I just did the shift+shut down and my windows needed like a minute to boot.
Maybe my windows just has gotten gradually slow since i installed windows 10 which was like a year or two ago.

I'll probably just leave it alone for now. I'll reinstall windows once i get a new extra external hard drive to back my stuff up.
GG Riot - http://i.imgur.com/PinGPhR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#17
Cobra1010 posted...
Foxfire15 posted...
untamed_squall posted...

@Foxfire15
@untamed_squall

s*** you are right. I just did the shift+shut down and my windows needed like a minute to boot.
Maybe my windows just has gotten gradually slow since i installed windows 10 which was like a year or two ago.

I'll probably just leave it alone for now. I'll reinstall windows once i get a new extra external hard drive to back my stuff up.

I basically don't turn my PC off (technically I can't right now, stupid PoS video card, just turns itself back on) but really, I wouldn't stress over it too much. I'd check your startups, maybe see about cleaning up some un-used programs.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ok PC boot times wtf

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived