This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm glad I built my PC in early December 2017.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm glad I built my PC in early December 2017.

User Info: uberl33tpro

uberl33tpro
3 months ago#1
Ryzen 5 1600x for $189 ($10 over the 1600 model)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo for $30 ($10 off)
MSI x370 gaming Pro Carbon for $99 (now retails for $169)
GTX 1080ti Gigabyte gaming OC black 11g model - 3 fans for $680 (price has skyrocketed)
16GBs of DDR4 ram for $140. Adata ram, but managed to OC it to 3200mhz CAS 16.

Reused:

- OCZ Trion 480GB Sata III SSD
- Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM HDD
- Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w gold PSU
- Cooler Master Haf X Case
- LG Bluray drive

Purchased later:

Samsung Evo 960 250GB PCI-E SSD - About $110

Grand total: Around $1250, with some parts reused.

I was considering waiting until this year, because in early December, Coffee lake CPUs were either sold out or $50+ above MSRP, but had I done that, I would have had to pay considerably more for my GTX 1080ti. Even an I5 8400 + motherboard would have cost me more than I paid for the 1600x + motherboard, because there were no budget motherboards out for the new socket.
If you believe Donald Trump should be the 45th president of the USA, put this in your sig.

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
3 months ago#2
good for you?
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Total War: Warhammer, Halo 3, Metroid: Return of Samus
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: returnofbeans

returnofbeans
3 months ago#3
Scorpion122178 posted...
good for you?

seriously, "if you have nothing good to say", so hard right now. why do people feel the need to post negative one liners. to make themselves feel better?

as for TC, i'm really jealous. i waited too long. no job means i couldn't hop on ryzen at release. luckily, next week i'll be putting in my order for a 2700X. motherboards are getting expensive too. i remember getting my current MoBo for $70 or so. then comes the ram, bought it first last month since i knew i was going with ryzen+ when it was announced for april. god that hurt

https://i.imgur.com/6UES95G.png

so all around, good job on getting an early jump.
Intel i5-4570 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / 2X4GB and 2X8GB RAM / 240GB SSD + 2TB+3TB HDD / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / EVGA supernova 750W bronze

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 months ago#4
Scorpion122178 posted...
good for you?
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

uberl33tpro
3 months ago#5
I'm happy with the performance of my Ryzen 5 1600x for gaming.

OC'd it to 3.95ghz @ 1.375v and 1.1 SOC. The PC won't even boot with the CPU running at 4.0ghz or higher. Regardless of voltages. 3.95ghz is quite literally the most this CPU will push on an all-core OC. I hear these top out at about 4.0-4.1 ghz for an all core OC, so I probably got a middle of the road 1600x.

The OC on the CPU wasn't that hard, but it took a couple weeks of tinkering to get the ram stable @ 3200mhz CAS 16. 1.42v on the ram, had to bump SOC from 1.05 to 1.1, and 80 ohm on ProcODT as well as change some sub timings.

The ram I got was rated for 3000mhz, but with the XMP profile enabled it would only run 2667mhz. So I had to disable the XMP profile, and manually OC the ram, and manually do the timings and sub timings. For the amount of time I spend doing this, I would have gladly paid $100 more for a ram kit that would just freaking run rated speeds, with no BS. This is the last time I'm ever going to spend a couple weeks trying to get ram stable. Never again. I'll RMA it immediately if it doesn't run at the rated XMP profile.
If you believe Donald Trump should be the 45th president of the USA, put this in your sig.

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
3 months ago#6
@uberl33tpro, dealing with ram OC with ryzen can be a pain. I managed to get mine to 3400ghz CL16-15-15-34 at 1.37v. Took me a while to figure out how to increase the voltage (not used to the gigabyte bios), and that I needed to. Decided to leave it at that.

Ryzen seems nice when running, but I wonder, if one wants a more hassle free setup, a intel based system might not have been better. Hopefully the platform matures and I should be able to reach the 3600ghz that this memory should support. There again, it was only £10 more than the 3200 which I was going to buy, so I should be relatively happy with what I have.

I think I must have gone through about 16 BSOD trying to configure this.

It also might depend on motherboard. I'm wondering whether a ASUS would have been better (I have a gigabyte). I also have a 2700 (again, perhaps a 2700x would have been a better decision).
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#7
Timing is everything...There have been days where I just barely missed a sale, or a discount expired and it wound up costing me extra. Then there have been times where I was the websites 1 millionth customer and won a free ipod /s so yeah... timing is everything.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

uberl33tpro
3 months ago#8
robert43s posted...

It also might depend on motherboard. I'm wondering whether a ASUS would have been better (I have a gigabyte). I also have a 2700 (again, perhaps a 2700x would have been a better decision).

The memory controller is on the Ryzen chip itself, not the motherboard. The newer Ryzen chips no doubt have a better memory controller, which would allow for higher Ram speeds than Gen 1 Ryzen chips.

There is a sweet spot for chip OC + ram frequency. At stock CPU speeds, 2667mhz is fine, but with an OC around 4.0ghz, 2933-3200mhz is recommended. If you can OC to 4.2ghz, then it's probably 3400-3600. It has something to do with the way the architecture works on these Ryzen chips.

Latency matters, but in pretty much every case I've seen, an extra 200mhz of frequency is better than 2 points lower on CAS timings.

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
3 months ago#9
@uberl33tpro, interesting. I haven't even gone into trying to OC my processor yet (I'm happy with it as is for now, ok speed with nice temperatures). Faster than a 1700 based on cpu-z. Seems I might have configured the memory ok, based on your article. I have seen at least two cores go above 4.1 when stress testing with the others lower.

I want to stabilise the system 1st, and of course, transfer everything from the old core i5 2500 (which this system is replacing). When I built my system, I bought most of the components with future proofing in mind, though, I am a bit disappointed with the motherboard. Sometimes, too much choice is a bad thing :)
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
3 months ago#10
I'm just glad I built my PC in 2016 before everything went crazy. Got 32GB of 3200 RAM for $150 back in June of 2016. Hopefully in a few years when I'll get a new PC everything will go back to normal again.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm glad I built my PC in early December 2017.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived