This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my video card going to s***?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my video card going to s***?

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
4 weeks ago#1
several things have been happening recently that make me think my 1060 3 GB is crapping out:
1) my monitors go black for a few seconds. sometimes if I'm watching something, the video will go green.
2) My PC is making a noise. it started around the time I got my video card. now it's much louder. it's the same consistent noise, though the volume might change. it kinda sounds like it could be a fan, but I don't actually know what it is.
3) my second monitor doesn't recognize the DVI input. I know it's working because it turns on. when I switch it to DVI, it says DVI NO SIGNAL. though this one might be my fault.

what do I do?

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
4 weeks ago#2
Sounds like it

candlefighter posted...
what do I do?

Replace Video Card
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004 Steam ID: AncientToaster / PSN ID: LiteralToaster

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
4 weeks ago#3
Could also be a bad driver install but when Monitors start turning off and you start seeing green or weird colors, your video card is f***ed.

It's happened to me, they don't always go out the same way but this is classic GPU Failure.
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004 Steam ID: AncientToaster / PSN ID: LiteralToaster

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#4
I've had similar display issues but it was turning purple instead of green, it turned out the video connection was loose (DVI to HDMI adapter), so make sure everything is plugged in all the way. As far as the second monitor is concerned, you're enabling it in the control panel? Or at least using win+p to extend/duplicate your desktop? Your computer is not going to display on multiple monitors just by plugging in a second monitor and turning it on.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 weeks ago#5
RMA it

PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest
4 weeks ago#6
just to rule other things out, you can also try different DVI cables and also a different monitor if they're available. But yeah maybe uninstall and re-install the latest video card drivers might be worth a shot too
This is a signature.

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
4 weeks ago#7
ArkonBlade posted...
RMA it

This.

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
4 weeks ago#8
I tried uninstalling my video card to make sure it was causing the noise. It wasn't.

It was the CPU fan. The problem was that the fan cable was being hit by said fan.

Now I have to figure out the rest.

PhazonReborn posted...
Replace Video Card

ArkonBlade posted...
RMA it

Terribletruth69 posted...
This.

I think I'll try the other fixes in the topic since the noise was something different. Especially the monitor one.

PhazonReborn posted...
Could also be a bad driver install but when Monitors start turning off and you start seeing green or weird colors, your video card is f***ed.

It's happened to me, they don't always go out the same way but this is classic GPU Failure.

wildog2006 posted...
I've had similar display issues but it was turning purple instead of green, it turned out the video connection was loose (DVI to HDMI adapter), so make sure everything is plugged in all the way.

I'll try installing different drivers and replugging everything. thanks! I dunno when the next black screening will happen though. it only happens like once every two-three days at a minimum. I use my PC a lot, so it might be days before I get another one.

wildog2006 posted...
As far as the second monitor is concerned, you're enabling it in the control panel? Or at least using win+p to extend/duplicate your desktop? Your computer is not going to display on multiple monitors just by plugging in a second monitor and turning it on.

it ended up being that the DVI cable wasn't plugged into the monitor port all the way. thanks!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my video card going to s***?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived