This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Elite: Dangerous?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How is Elite: Dangerous?

User Info: Icewitch

Icewitch
4 weeks ago#1
I've always had an interest in space sims and/or space flight games, but few have engaged me meaningfully. I'd say the one I enjoyed most was Microsoft Game Studios' "Freelancer". I played a bit of X3 Terran Conflict but lost interest due to it being a little too complex. No Man's Sky was not complex enough.

I think there's a fine line between being too complex and too simple and few space games have hit this mark for me at least. How's Elite Dangerous in this regard? I hate games that are too spreadsheety, but I also want there to be meaningful choices and strategy.

I've also read its pretty grindy, which isn't inherently bad if the gameplay loop is fun.
^.^

User Info: somebadlemonade

somebadlemonade
4 weeks ago#2
The big thing for me wasn't the complexity of me but how it was complex, it was an economy simulator in space, not a space flight simulator, with andeep rich economy.

As for if you should get elite dangerous watch some recent reviews and make up your mind.
Meh posting brought to you by SBL inc. Makers of The Only Ink that Stinks!

User Info: burn420247

burn420247
4 weeks ago#3
elite having an economy doesnt mean that its a "economy simulator"

its more space flight than economy based. you fly your ship ALL the time. its not a "true" space flight simulator, but the flight model works fabulously.

the game has a rather steep learning curve, but if you take the time to learn the ins and outs, there are a ton of interesting/fun things to do.

it is a grind to progress to the biggest ships, but getting out of the starting ship is easy enough. there are a number of "small to midsized" ships that are very attainable.

the grind is making money to buy and outfit your ships. there are a variety of ways to make money quickly, and enough choices to find your groove to get your grind on. if you ever get bored of doing one thing, elite has several other paths to try.
Romans1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ

User Info: ZeroCharge

ZeroCharge
4 weeks ago#4
A friend gifted it to me a while ago because he nagged me to play it with him but I didn't like it. Too much simulation stuff and not enough fun for me. I let him refund it since I played less than 2 hours, I don't like overly complex simulation stuff and I hate grinding.
Corsair A540 Cube Case | SABERTOOTH Z97 MK I | i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz | H110i | 16GB Dominator Platinum 1866 | MSI Gaming X 1080Ti | Corsair AX1200 | W10

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
4 weeks ago#5
Good, but I wouldn't like it NEARLY as much if I didn't play using a HOTAS. It seriously makes the game loads more immersive and the combat/exploration more enjoyable.

Also, it's as sandbox a game as you can get, so if you need any more game structure than "Mission Board", you may not be happy. As some have called it, it's very much a "Space Trucker Sim"(unless you focus on combat, which is fun as well).

You aren't "Ace Pilot of Space Fleet saving the universe from space pirates and alien menaces". You are "Joe Schmoe of the year 2XXX, doing odd jobs, picking up some bounty work, and try to afford the next shiny ride"
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 weeks ago#6
burn420247 posted...
elite having an economy doesnt mean that its a "economy simulator"

Economy isn't the right word but there is the BGS (Background Simulation) which encompasses the economy and any state a system can be in. You can use it to cripple systems, or make them thrive. Unfortunately the way it works isn't great as any transaction isn't counted by value, but by number of transactions.

So if you collected 20 million in bounties and cash them in, that's one transaction. If you cash in 1 million in bounties 20 times, that's 20 transactions which will have more of an impact. Its absolutely stupid and players are trying to get Fdev to change it to value based.

Anyways, the game can be pretty shallow if you're just going it alone. If you're really interested then try find one of the many player groups that would suit you.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: CloneTheHero

CloneTheHero
4 weeks ago#7
the game gets boring once you figure out how to do long range missions that pay a ridiculous amount of money. you then buy your big fancy ship and the game loses all meaning... theres no incentives in this game.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/laughter.gif

User Info: somebadlemonade

somebadlemonade
4 weeks ago#8
Heh sorry my phone auto corrected some my post was talking about X3, I've never played elite dangerous.
Meh posting brought to you by SBL inc. Makers of The Only Ink that Stinks!

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#9
CloneTheHero posted...
the game gets boring once you figure out how to do long range missions that pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Actually, the minute someone figures out a way to make money, the devs neuter it. Maybe it gets boring once you've already amassed a huge fortune, but most people prefer the act of being able to start making a huge fortune.

Basically, it's only boring if there's nothing left to do, and not everyone looks at their bank balance as the end goal.

The thing is, the game doesn't hold your hand and say "go from point a to point b and then to point c and at the end of the alphabet is a huge party celebrating your success in reaching the end". You do what you want, when you want, how you want, and if you need a story or a hard coded "end of game" then it's not the game for you.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 weeks ago#10
CloneTheHero posted...
the game gets boring once you figure out how to do long range missions that pay a ridiculous amount of money. you then buy your big fancy ship and the game loses all meaning... theres no incentives in this game.

Thats why alot of people refer to the old "Mile wide, inch deep" view of the game.

If you're playing solo, or even with a friend and just trying to do missions for a bigger ship then it will get boring. The long time players, people who love the game, and those who stick with it are in Player Groups. There's a whole other side to the game that you'll never find just playing program. Its both a blessing and a curse.

Here's a small example of things you can do when you find a good group.

-Fuel Rats. They respond to emergency distress calls of stranded pilots. They're very well respected in the community.

- Expeditions. I think right now there's 2 expeditions out, they just reached the center of the galaxy not too long ago. Exploring can be dull solo, when you're traveling with a 100 ship convoy...pretty cool.

Groups don't always, but usually have their own minor faction in the game. They do missions and support their faction to help them grow. That really gives you the feeling of having a home and making a difference. It also gives you goals so you're not aimlessly wandering around space.

Alot of the more organized groups do regular contests, fun things like Canyon Racing and other activites. Alot of people do roleplaying and participate in the group vs group diplomacy.

The thing is, you would probably never know any of that by just playing the game itself.
FC: 1221-0777-4703
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How is Elite: Dangerous?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived