This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much did the original Doom (1993) cost initially?

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
7 months ago#11
As for Doom, my guess is $40
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/508ffbe6e4b044ecf470a8ea/t/509497c0e4b06cb305033021/1351915457396/fXp0O.gif
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
7 months ago#12
yohabroha posted...
Well there wasn't really a uniform MSRP then like there is now. Some SNES games cost $70 back then while some cost $40 or $50. So bang for your buck is kind of just relative to games that were coming out at whatever time you're looking at until you get to where it was more or less standard during the PS2/GC/Xbox era. In one sense it was better back then, $70 SNES games back then were usually the ones we regard as system classics now. Today $60 can be a My Little Pony point and click adventure or it can be Witcher 3. Exaggerating a little of course, but you get the idea.

Not really true.
For example, Pit Fighter was 60 bucks.

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
7 months ago#13
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
As for Doom, my guess is $40
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/508ffbe6e4b044ecf470a8ea/t/509497c0e4b06cb305033021/1351915457396/fXp0O.gif

$40...plus Shipping&Handling!
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
7 months ago#14
I like how it says ask for the hint manual, the only thing cryptic about Doom was hidden rooms, other than that the game is extremely straight forward.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Senbonzakura Miku, Priestess Snow Miku, Bjorn+Linlin

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
7 months ago#15
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
yohabroha posted...
Well there wasn't really a uniform MSRP then like there is now. Some SNES games cost $70 back then while some cost $40 or $50. So bang for your buck is kind of just relative to games that were coming out at whatever time you're looking at until you get to where it was more or less standard during the PS2/GC/Xbox era. In one sense it was better back then, $70 SNES games back then were usually the ones we regard as system classics now. Today $60 can be a My Little Pony point and click adventure or it can be Witcher 3. Exaggerating a little of course, but you get the idea.

Not really true.

Power Rangers was 80 bucks or so...

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
7 months ago#16
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
yohabroha posted...

Not really true.

Which isn’t $70, and even at that price point I used the qualifier “usually”
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: KenshiroX

KenshiroX
7 months ago#17
I remember the shareware version, IE, the first 1/3 of the game was about 10 dollars. First game I ever got for my new computer.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
7 months ago#18
KenshiroX posted...
I remember the shareware version, IE, the first 1/3 of the game was about 10 dollars. First game I ever got for my new computer.

What? The shareware version was free. You got ripped off.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
7 months ago#19
DarkZV2Beta posted...
KenshiroX posted...

What? The shareware version was free. You got ripped off.

Some stores charged a few bucks for it due to the cost of manufacturing the disk+packaging it came in. Yeah, once the internet became more of a thing and you could just download the shareware game then it was free.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Senbonzakura Miku, Priestess Snow Miku, Bjorn+Linlin

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
7 months ago#20
sampama226 posted...
yohabroha posted...
You're definitely going to get mixed results here, not because certain people are wrong, but because MSRP was undercut a lot more often back then compared to now. More mom and pop stores were willing to go under MSRP because big box stores hadn't nearly wiped them out yet.

That's interesting to note. Because $30 1993 is equal to almost the $60 pricetag of today's games, and if that's indeed below MSRP and its more like $50 full price, then you're looking at a lot more bang for your buck these days, content wise of course.

And then N64 releases and the games cost $80 back then. Back then the high cost was due to manufacturing of carts, now a days the high cost (if we include the DLC) is the development of the games.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much did the original Doom (1993) cost initially?
  • Topic Archived