This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you build a steam machine for less than a PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you build a steam machine for less than a PC?

User Info: hman1313

hman1313
4 months ago#1
If so, how much less? Is it more difficult? Can you build a steam machine for less than what Alienware is charging for its Steam Machines?

Thanks.

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 months ago#2
hman1313 posted...
If so, how much less? Is it more difficult? Can you build a steam machine for less than what Alienware is charging for its Steam Machines?

Thanks.

So, this is a silly question (mostly). You're asking if you can build a PC cheaper than a PC. A "steam machine" is just a PC. Technical answer is maybe. Depends on what you put in it, and what the cost of components are at the time. Generally you can build cheaper than Dell/HP/whoever, as long as it more than ~$500. Sub $500, it's pretty hard to beat costs.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: Opunaesala

Opunaesala
4 months ago#3
Foxfire15 posted...
hman1313 posted...

Thanks.

So, this is a silly question (mostly). You're asking if you can build a PC cheaper than a PC. A "steam machine" is just a PC. Technical answer is maybe. Depends on what you put in it, and what the cost of components are at the time. Generally you can build cheaper than Dell/HP/whoever, as long as it more than ~$500. Sub $500, it's pretty hard to beat costs.

Pretty much this.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 months ago#4
yeah if you're trying to match their form factor then absolutely not. more often then not smaller parts are more expensive than their regular sized counterparts because mini-rigs are even more niche than gaming rigs which are already pretty niche.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 months ago#5
Foxfire15 posted...
Technical answer is maybe.

Technically, it would be yes if you use a paid OS (windows or mac) since SteamOS is a free download.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
4 months ago#6
Lots of technicalities here, short answer is yes. In general, it's actually harder to build a competent gaming device these days for cheaper than a prebuilt due to all the nonsense with cryptomining, RAM shortages, etc.

Steam Machines are basically just PCs configured with the free SteamOS, a special flavor of Linux. However, a lot of companies still use customizations to offer smaller form factors. You could build your own Steam Machine with regular PC parts for all the same that you could build a plain PC minus the cost of a Windows license, which saves you about $120 depending. You could probably make a more competent device for the same amount of money that Alienware asks for, but in general I don't recommend going lower than $500 on a PC.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: stav8

stav8
4 months ago#7
Steam machines are garbage as support for games is poor. Just find a reseller site for windows 10 key. Should cost you around $20
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
4 months ago#8
The only difference between a Steam Machine and a PC is that you don't pay for Windows, right?
So yes. That cost difference.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: Villain

Villain
4 months ago#9
You can also get a refurbished office PC for under 100 and add a 1050 ti.
http://i.imgur.com/ZWNgMXL.jpg
Formerly known as Will VIIII
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you build a steam machine for less than a PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived