This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU Upgrade

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU Upgrade

User Info: guvadc

guvadc
6 months ago#1
Looking to upgrade my CPU from an I5 6500 to an I7 7700k. I have a GTX 1080 for my GPU and game strictly on my big screen tv doing a mix of 4k and 1440p depending on what my setup can handle.

Has anyone else done a similar upgrade and notice worth while improvements?

Also, I'm hoping this is a pretty easy upgrade as its just remove CPU and add new with cooler. Am I mistaken ? I got the firmware upgraded on my MOBO so that should be good I think , but I'm worried about windows 10 , will it complain about it?

Thanks!
(message deleted)

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
6 months ago#3
I went from from a 3570k to an 8700 and I must say I don't notice much of a difference
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
6 months ago#4
You really won't notice a big difference.
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
6 months ago#5
imo its not gonna be a great jump in performance. However if u can do it cheap enough why not. If u intend to upgrade your 1080 in the future then an i7 would be better. I just wouldnt expect a jump in performance like u would get in a gpu upgrade
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#6
4k makes everything GPU limited, but 1440p would see a notable performance increase depending on the game. Windows 10 wouldn't be an issue, that's just when changing motherboard.

I believe the worst case game for 4C/4T right now is Assassins Creed Origins
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: guvadc

guvadc
6 months ago#7
godplaysSNES posted...
I believe the worst case game for 4C/4T right now is Assassins Creed Origins

Played through it. I had some performance issues here and there like a lot of others ( Alexandria being worst offender ) , and one of the reasons I'm thinking of upgrading . Want to play new and upcoming open world games for awhile without worrying too much about my hardware and performance.

User Info: FoolsFolly

FoolsFolly
6 months ago#8
Windows 10 usually doesn't care about hardware changes. There is a small chance Windows won't recognize your PC after the change, and may say your Windows isn't genuine. But if you have a Microsoft account tied to your copy of Windows 10 then the fix is extremely quick and easy.
Proud Hikikomori. It's not a mental disorder, it's a lifestyle choice.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU Upgrade

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived