This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any point in upgrading to DDR4 for gaming?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there any point in upgrading to DDR4 for gaming?

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
1 month ago#11
grand_commander posted...
Don't base when you build off of the RAM available. Besides, it could take as long as three years for DDR5 to come out.

Really what you should be looking at waiting for are the next Nvidia graphics cards, the Ryzen 2 CPUs, and Intel's answer to Ryzen 2.

I'm hoping to use the 8300 @ 4.2ghz till 2019 maybe 2020 for 5760x1080p 75hz freesync. Most of that should be GPU dependent which my 480 can handle like butter. If I can go from the 8300 to Ryzen 4 preferably the entry level 7, i'll be happy. I am also assuming current generation consoles will start to be replaced in 2020 so that's when I should be needing to upgrade my CPU.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
1 month ago#12
32x2z posted...
I'm hoping to use the 8300 @ 4.2ghz till 2019 maybe 2020 for 5760x1080p 75hz freesync. Most of that should be GPU dependent which my 480 can handle like butter. If I can go from the 8300 to Ryzen 4 preferably the entry level 7, i'll be happy. I am also assuming current generation consoles will start to be replaced in 2020 so that's when I should be needing to upgrade my CPU.

Yeah, if you have a Coffee Lake CPU you have no need to upgrade out of your socket for the next four years minimum. DDR3 is good enough for now.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there any point in upgrading to DDR4 for gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived