This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pretty much DON'T expect 60 FPS from Shenmue HD remaster even on PC, here's why:

User Info: Master_Faust

Master_Faust
8 months ago#1
In-game clock is tied to FPS. That's basically it.
Everything in Shenmue revolves around the clock (NPC locations/actions/dialogues, both story and side events, day/night cycle, weather, store/building closing and opening schedule, etc).
And the clock will run much faster if FPS is going to be higher. They can't allow this, as this WILL break the game flow due to such factors as real-time day and date progression, and that there are bad endings which happen when a particular calendary date is reached. By upping the FPS and thus speeding up the clock, this WILL make bad ending come faster and WILL give player less time to accomplish many tasks (such as leveling up attacks or armor/HP, for example). So, it seems like a hard ~30 FPS lock is inbound. Personally, I'll be fine with that.

According to devs of some of the Dreamcast emulators out there, Shenmue is a major pain in the ass to emulate properly due to how it operates with it's in-game time - literally everything is tied to that TIMEX clock. X-Box version of Shenmue II had slightly higher FPS (than Dreamcast's original release) and THAT one actually already had issues, albeit being an "official port".
I play these anytime and at any place: "Guitar Freaks" series, "Silent Hill" series, "The King of Fighters" series, X series, DDR.

User Info: kentuckybob

kentuckybob
8 months ago#2
This game is vastly overrated.

Get a job as a forklift driver and work full length shifts.

'MURSHUNZ!
"You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"
i5-7200u - GTX950m

Master_Faust
8 months ago#3
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
http://i.imgur.com/aI5kweF.gif
I play these anytime and at any place: "Guitar Freaks" series, "Silent Hill" series, "The King of Fighters" series, X series, DDR.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
8 months ago#4
That doesn't mean it won't be 60 fps. All they have to do is make it 60 fps and slow down the ingame clock to half speed, therefore making it run at normal speed.

Master_Faust
8 months ago#5
Death_Born posted...
Changing around a few lines of code in hard-coded feature which affects literally everything in the game is not hard and definitely won't break anything at all...ESPECIALLY on PC.

http://i.imgur.com/fIEYb.gif

User Info: dean_666

dean_666
8 months ago#6
kentuckybob posted...
This game is vastly overrated
MSI Z370 M5 | I7 8700k | CRYORIG R1 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX | MSI 1070 GAMING X | 1TB 850 EVO SSD | EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 | ACER PREDATOR XB271HU

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
8 months ago#7
Master_Faust posted...
Death_Born posted...
Changing around a few lines of code in hard-coded feature which affects literally everything in the game is not hard and definitely won't break anything at all...ESPECIALLY on PC.

http://i.imgur.com/fIEYb.gif

actually for people who are paid lots of money to do this kind of work, changing something like this isn't rocket science. I have been working on creating mods for a game an entire weekend and while yeah it's complex, but if you know what you are doing, it's not impossible. The advantage they have is, they know how to do it. The question is though, is it worth the time and money? If it is, they'll do it, if not, they'll give some bulls*** reason why they couldn't, and that is what it would be, bulls***.

So people, stop giving these developers excuses please. If the developer of an indie game like Hyperlight Drifter can rewrite a lot of their code to make their game 60fps, a team with SEGA's backing surely can.

Master_Faust
8 months ago#8
sonicteam2k1 posted...
what are NPC/quest/event/scene/lighting/shader/weather/daytime cycle/physics/sound scripting

Sheesh, it's almost like you really don't know much on how games operate and how hard it is to write a decently working code that doesn't fall apart.
Star Citizen's and Tales of Zestiria's lessons, people. Learn them. Sigh.

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
8 months ago#9
That's what came into my mind that the game may be locked to 30fps.

Vanquish was also tied to framerate & they did pull this game over 60fps. Although Jet set Radio is locked at 30fps, thus OP is probably right on that one.

I'm betting 80% chance the Shenmue I & II remaster is locked at 30fps.

EDIT: Although if they are able to convert the game at 60fps, it will rain money.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

Master_Faust
8 months ago#10
Mr kitty posted...
Vanquish was also tied to frame rate, but they did pull this game over 60 FPS

Which made it absolutely unplayable, broken-as-all-hell POS. A really REALLY bad "example" to bring as an argument, matey.

I'm betting 80% chance the Shenmue I & II HD remaster is locked at 30 FPS

I think they've already confirmed somewhere it is, if my memory is right. At Sega Festival or in later interviews.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pretty much DON'T expect 60 FPS from Shenmue HD remaster even on PC, here's why:
  • Topic Archived