This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ideas to base a media pc around

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ideas to base a media pc around

User Info: Gietzy

Gietzy
1 month ago#1
Hi. Last time I built a pc it was a 2500k and SLI GTX 580 for 5760 x 1080 Crysis. Needless to say, I’ve been out of the loop for a few years. Hoping to build a nice media pc for home. Priorities are;

4K HDR
Small form factor
Quiet as possible

Nice to have but not essential are;

Blue ray or UHD Blu-ray
Limited home server functionality (want to remotely access my files without drop box)

I really have no idea what’s going on in the industry at the moment so need suggestions for everything. I assume integrated graphics are fine for just playback.
My systems: SNES, GameBoy, Megadrive, PS1, N64, PS2, GCN, PS3, XBox360, Wii, WiiU, PS4, XBOne, Switch
PSN/XBLive: Willavom

User Info: load

load
1 month ago#2
You'll want a decent cpu if you're going to stream to multiple devices at the same time. On cpu benchmark, you'll want 2k score per 1080 stream, 1500 per 720. I use plex media server for my stuff, if you're going to have a lot of media, look in to raid 5 or 10 for storage. I use the plex app on my smart tv to watch movies, just need the computer on
Halo pc 4 life
TGRI saves lives

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 month ago#3
Integrated graphics are fine. If you want to do sone light gaming, I'd pick up a midrange video card (doesn't need to be current gen). Can be nice you want to play some of more retro style games, or non graphic intensive stuff.

I have a media center with
I3 (i forget which, 4th gen i think)
Amd 260X
6TB of storage (3x 3tb in RAID5)
Small 90gb ssd for booting.

Works fine for 4k video, but you'll want something that supports the newer HDMI standard.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*
(message deleted)

Gietzy
1 month ago#5
Thanks. That’s really helpful. What about the Kabylake pentium?
My systems: SNES, GameBoy, Megadrive, PS1, N64, PS2, GCN, PS3, XBox360, Wii, WiiU, PS4, XBOne, Switch

Foxfire15
1 month ago#6
Gietzy posted...
Thanks. That’s really helpful. What about the Kabylake pentium?

They might work? I'll be honest, the Pentium chips are a little to "budget" for my tastes. IMO, I'd get at least an i3, preferably one with the...630 I think was the top graphics. If you're planning on using the integrated video, be sure to get a mobo that supports HDMI 2.0.

As an aside, any particular reason you're looking at 7th gen an not 8th?

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#7
If the media PC is supposed to play the videos, Kabylake is great. All current formats are fully supported by the hardware video decoder.

If it's the PC you're streaming from that's supposed to play the videos, dunno.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

Gietzy
1 month ago#8
No reason. Just want whatever will do the job for a fair price.

Foxfire15
1 month ago#9
Gietzy posted...
No reason. Just want whatever will do the job for a fair price.

Fair enough. From what I've seen per quick googling 8th gen is better enough that I'd get it over 7th unless I got a hell of a deal.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ideas to base a media pc around

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived