This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why hasn't the 5-man dungeon experience in MMOs been distilled into its own game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why hasn't the 5-man dungeon experience in MMOs been distilled into its own game

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
2 months ago#11
Overwatch is a role-based game, though the core of its gameplay lies in competitive multiplayer. They occasionally have 4 person PvE events, though.

I'm sure there are other games like this, basically role-based co-op, but I'm assuming this sort of game isn't popular because it's inflexible. Most games want to allow you to play with any amount of players from 1-4, so games like, say, Borderlands will have different classes that are still relatively self-sufficient, but they allow the option to do co-op with different roles to create a better rounded team. If you were stuck basically being a fraction of what's required to play, then you're limited to playing with other people. Either you have a dedicated group of friends, or you just play an MMO at that rate.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#12
I think the problem would be balancing queue times. If you've played any MMO with an LFG system then you probably know DPS queues are pretty ridiculous. In WoW it's bad enough that they've started giving tanks/healers 800+ gold among other goodies for every single dungeon they run in addition to the normal rewards during slow times which occur basically daily which still barely helps. If you have a game that's 20 minutes of staring at a queue to run a maybe 30 minute dungeon for the bulk of your playerbase it's just not going to last long. It works OK in full fledged MMOs because they have a lot going on outside of the dungeons that you can work on while you're waiting. Take that away and you've got problems.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
2 months ago#13
White Knight Chronicles on PS3
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
2 months ago#14
The absolute f***ing irony is most MMOs nowadays are nothing but pile of s***s that ruined every ounce of everything that was fun about MMOs, with the only thing fun in it is its 5-man dungeons or end-game raids.

These games should remove everything MMO about them and just be coop action RPGs. In other words, that part of MMOs is the only reason they even exist (and the only reason 99% of the casuals want to play them), so its incredibly stupid that they even bother making their entire MMO just to waste it.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: Boge

Boge
2 months ago#15
I would very much enjoy a full instance based MMO. I played a few MMOs in the past, but the leveling grind in order to get the quests and right level and gear to get into the instance turned off a couple of my friends. So we stopped playing. If it was fully instance based, I'm sure they'd play with me. Great idea!
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: AltOmega

AltOmega
2 months ago#16
Heroes of the Storm?
1. I teach mathy computer stuff; 2. I'm a huge fan of SMT, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Metroid(2D), and giant fighting robots; 3. I voted for Hilary

User Info: AltOmega

AltOmega
2 months ago#17
SilentHawk29 posted...
White Knight Chronicles on PS3

Would like to hear more about this

jake-sf posted...
The absolute f***ing irony is most MMOs nowadays are nothing but pile of s***s that ruined every ounce of everything that was fun about MMOs, with the only thing fun in it is its 5-man dungeons or end-game raids.

These games should remove everything MMO about them and just be coop action RPGs. In other words, that part of MMOs is the only reason they even exist (and the only reason 99% of the casuals want to play them), so its incredibly stupid that they even bother making their entire MMO just to waste it.

Elaborate on what's bad about MMOs.
1. I teach mathy computer stuff; 2. I'm a huge fan of SMT, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Metroid(2D), and giant fighting robots; 3. I voted for Hilary

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
2 months ago#18
DaedalusEx posted...
Say what you will about MMOs, the 5-man dungeon gameplay--at its best--is an incredibly satisfying co-operative experience that can't be found anywhere outside of MMOs. Why is that? It doesn't seem like it would be terribly resource intensive to create this experience as a separate game.

Would you be interested in playing such a game if it were attempted?

You mean DOTA 2 and LoL right HAHA
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m

User Info: Okikurmi

Okikurmi
2 months ago#19
Always been my least favorite part of mmos.
I...am...Alexander. Tremble...before me... Worship...my greatness... I shall ascend to the heavens...

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
2 months ago#20
I hated doing five mans post tbc.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why hasn't the 5-man dungeon experience in MMOs been distilled into its own game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived