This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam Free Game - Crusader Kings 2

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
8 months ago#21
Maximoom posted...
Holy f***, no wonder they are giving the "game" for free, with that many expansions dlcs.

Yeah...on one hand, they do a good job releasing more content for the game constantly. on the other, it does tend to make a very big list. It gets even more confusing when people ask which DLC should they get because the answers can vary a lot. You can play the game in variety of ways, so different DLC might be relevant or not. Moreover, it's a bit hard to explain what some DLC do to a person unfamiliar with how the game works normally. And then there is one particular DLC called Conclave which is probably the weirdest of them all. It is supposed to redo some of the mechanics, namely, vassals and the council but the way it does it it not very intuitive in a lot of cases. Moreover, it changes other mechanics that are completely unrelated - the childhood education system. And you cannot even choose to have the council changes without the childhood changes or vice versa - at most, you can enable or disable the whole DLC.

So, all in all, there are pros and cons to having DLC. Also, it's why I mentioned some have suggested the base games go free - the DLC costs quite a lot already and Paradox are making a lot of their money off it. Besides, the base game requires some dedication to get into - it's not like if they make it free people will flock and play it. The ones that do get into it are likely to want to get the DLC. Probably at a sale but still.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
8 months ago#22
Most of the DLC is skippable and what isn't usually impacts the game in a big way.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: FFT-Fan

FFT-Fan
8 months ago#23
KillerTruffle posted...
ALWAYS assume it's a temporary giveaway and get it ASAP. Worst case is it just sits in your library until you decide you want to play it.

Just clicked install. So once downloaded we have it forever or only can be played during a certain time(ie a free weekend)?
GTX 1080|i7-7700|DDR4 3200mhz|500GB 850 EVO

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
8 months ago#24
Thanks TC

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
8 months ago#25
FFT-Fan posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
ALWAYS assume it's a temporary giveaway and get it ASAP. Worst case is it just sits in your library until you decide you want to play it.

Just clicked install. So once downloaded we have it forever or only can be played during a certain time(ie a free weekend)?

Free forever.

Damaged7 posted...
Most of the DLC is skippable and what isn't usually impacts the game in a big way.

To be fair, it does impact the game...although you might not even need to use it. For example, if you don't have Rajas of India, you cannot play any ruler in India ur use any of the Indian religions. But then again, if you don't want to play in that area of the map, you lose pretty much nothing. Similar with, say Sword of Islam that allows you to play Muslims - if you just have the DLC and don't play Muslim characters, you don't really miss out on much. Even the DLC that adds mechanics for all characters doesn't really matter, overall. While it does have impact for everyone, it's not a requirement to use it.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: HBOSS

HBOSS
8 months ago#26
cool.
if the this game is too much for ya, i suggest getting the game of thrones mod. I am doing this now and cant wait to put some time into learning this game through the world of game of thrones. apparently, this mod is based on the books.
You don't stop playing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop playing

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
8 months ago#27
I bought it long ago but definitely pick that up if you haven't.
I still don't understand the game enough to play it.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam Free Game - Crusader Kings 2
  • Topic Archived