This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Before I assemble, see any issues? Couple ?'s also

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Before I assemble, see any issues? Couple ?'s also

User Info: MoToX20

MoToX20
1 month ago#1
After a lot of debating I decided to build a PC and not go the laptop Route this time( considered laptop due to prices, and the best part of a new PC is actually building it!), and with prices the way they are I had to come down a few notches from where I wanted to be. Are there any compatibility issues, or issues with anything I chose in general( like general defects or known to break down in a short time) that I missed? And what specs should I expect in current AAA titles?

I considered the Crosshair VI Hero motherboard mainly for the WiFi/BT but since I always use a wired connection for gaming the mb seemed like overkill. But since my ISP just started offering gigabyte speeds I’m wondering if WiFi will be quicker. I don’t know much about that, is the WiFi bandwith capped in general(is there just a limit wifi can’t go faster than?) or is it dependent on the ISP/equipment?

I know the list is missing a HDD which I have, a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s.

Still gotta pick out an optical drive, I’ll do that locally. Also would it be worth doubling the RAM?

And finally a monitor, that I’m having an issue with. A few suggestions in the $200-$300 range would be greatly appreciated.

It’s mainly for gaming, no video editing or anything else intensive.

Thanks very much for your time and input.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GP6LJ8
There's no such thing as a Saint without a past, or a sinner without a future.
The truly wise man always has more questions than answers.

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 month ago#2
Nothing stands out to me offhand.

For an optical drive, I'd only buy one if you need it. You can install windows 10 using a USB thumb drive as long as you have access to another working PC. See here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Just tell it what version of 10 you need, and be sure you have at least an 8 GB thumb drive. (I recommend USB 3 or better because it's faster, but I dunno if AMD still supports 2 natively)

RAM, 16 GB is plenty since you're just gaming on it. You can get 32GB if you want, but unless you're using all that ram regularly it's pretty much just wasted overhead.

Monitors are tricky. Really depends on preference and wants. I'd shoot for something 1440p and 144Hz if possible. I don't think you'll find anything good with gsync in that price range. Good monitors have gotten expensive, but you can always get a cheap 1080p display for now if you're indecisive. Personally I like to see a monitor in action before I buy it if possible, but that's not always feasible.

As an aside, Using WiFi for your internet connection is foolish if you have wired. It's inherently slower by default, and more prone to lag and interference. Wired > wireless in any situation where it's an option.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
1 month ago#3
I would be interested in how good that motherboard is. I'm planning a new build soon, and that's one of the motherboards I've added to my shortlist. I'll be interested to hear how well that memory works as well (compatibility etc.. plus overclocking capabilities).
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

MoToX20
1 month ago#4
Foxfire15 posted...
Nothing stands out to me offhand.

For an optical drive, I'd only buy one if you need it. You can install windows 10 using a USB thumb drive as long as you have access to another working PC. See here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Just tell it what version of 10 you need, and be sure you have at least an 8 GB thumb drive. (I recommend USB 3 or better because it's faster, but I dunno if AMD still supports 2 natively)

RAM, 16 GB is plenty since you're just gaming on it. You can get 32GB if you want, but unless you're using all that ram regularly it's pretty much just wasted overhead.

Monitors are tricky. Really depends on preference and wants. I'd shoot for something 1440p and 144Hz if possible. I don't think you'll find anything good with gsync in that price range. Good monitors have gotten expensive, but you can always get a cheap 1080p display for now if you're indecisive. Personally I like to see a monitor in action before I buy it if possible, but that's not always feasible.

As an aside, Using WiFi for your internet connection is foolish if you have wired. It's inherently slower by default, and more prone to lag and interference. Wired > wireless in any situation where it's an option.

Thanks, I figured 32gb RAM would be overkill but wanted to be sure. As for internet, I whole heartedly agree wired>WiFi, was just curious if gigabyte speeds would make it worth it, I’ve always used wired, just common sense to me...lol.

Just want an optical drive for burning really, do a lot of that. Though discs are becoming obsolete, it’ll just be nice to have one.

The monitor has been tricky, and have gotten really expensive, I didn’t include it in my order because I want to take my time researching them, and to pick one up locally to hopefully see it in action first. At the very least it’ll be as you suggested 1440p and 144Hz.

Thanks.

robert43s posted...
I would be interested in how good that motherboard is. I'm planning a new build soon, and that's one of the motherboards I've added to my shortlist. I'll be interested to hear how well that memory works as well (compatibility etc.. plus overclocking capabilities).

I did a lot of research on the mb, it’s the brains of the build after all. Everything I’ve read, reviews from users and pros, says over clocking is a breeze, as expected from ASUS boards the BIOS is very user friendly and the only bad reviews I saw were from boards that were DOA or defective, or from people that didn’t make sure other components were compatible.... It’s said to be one of the best gaming boards in that price range, most said it was better than boards much more expensive.

The RAM is reviewed very well too, most have no problems getting it to its full potential, most issues people had came before BIOS updates to support it. With how simple ASUS BIOS and OC'ing are I don’t imagine any issues arising with the RAM. There are simple fixes to get it to 3000MHz if having issues.

It’ll be a week or two before I can give you a first hand account, GPU won’t be here for at least a week unfortunately. I’m staring at everything else just itching to put it together.....

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
1 month ago#5
Just wait for couple of weeks tops for the Ryzen+ cpu and 400 series mobos.

I would not buy that psu either for that kind of money and ditch that windows 10 license too, also do you really need such an expensive case.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: Perfect Zeratul

Perfect Zeratul
1 month ago#6
I got my Win 10 key from https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
God gave man a brain and a ****. Too bad he didn't give us enough blood to use them both @ the same time....

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
1 month ago#7
Perfect Zeratul posted...
I got my Win 10 key from https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

You can find plenty of cheap working win 10 licenses from Ebay for 6 dollars or so.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
1 month ago#8
The 760t is very outdated and for that price it's just a waste.

If you haven't brought it yet, look into the define r6. Close to same price and near perfect in every aspect.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

MoToX20
1 month ago#9
Pelaaja82 posted...
Just wait for couple of weeks tops for the Ryzen+ cpu and 400 series mobos.

I would not buy that psu either for that kind of money and ditch that windows 10 license too, also do you really need such an expensive case.

Yeah the case is a bit much, didn’t put as much effort into choosing a case as I should have. I’ve already been looking at replacements.

Is there something wrong with the Thermaltake PSU? Any suggestions to replace it?

phantasy posted...
The 760t is very outdated and for that price it's just a waste.

If you haven't brought it yet, look into the define r6. Close to same price and near perfect in every aspect.

As soon as the case arrived I decided to get a new one.... been considering the Thermaltake Core V31 mid tower and Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower and now the Define R6. Returning the 760t won’t be an issue, and am going to regardless so I do need to choose a new one. Gonna spend the day tomorrow really looking at cases and order a new one.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
1 month ago#10
Watch some of hardware canuks videos on YouTube. He does excellent case review videos.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Before I assemble, see any issues? Couple ?'s also

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived