This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does steam slow my entire computer when it downloads something -_-

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does steam slow my entire computer when it downloads something -_-

User Info: genesis145

genesis145
4 months ago#1
I don't use steam often but I decided to get nino kuni 2 and that's not on xbox one and don't have a ps4.

But every time I download something on steam first of all it's super slow -_-. I download other stuff on my pc in no time. Just downloaded a game on my xbox one that was 17GB and only took an hour. Approaching an hour on downloading nino kuni on steam and I just got 1.5GB.

And as well as any time I download something on steam it takes my computer longer to do other stuff on the internet. Like takes longer to open web pages or youtube videos don't buffer etc. And it's ONLY when I use steam. I can download all day on my computer via other methods and never have a problem nor will the downloads be slow. It's only steam that lags my computer behind.

User Info: ThisIsAKnoife

ThisIsAKnoife
4 months ago#2
um it takes longer because downloading stuff uses bandwidth, which videos and webpages use to load as well... like, really..?
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.

genesis145
4 months ago#3
ThisIsAKnoife posted...
um it takes longer because downloading stuff uses bandwidth, which videos and webpages use to load as well... like, really..?

Never have this problem on anything but steam. Like I said I can be on my xbox one downloading something or downloading something on my computer thats larger than nino kuni is right now and it doesn't slow down as much as steam seems to. I'm getting like 956kbs. I've never had my downloads download so slow that it's measured in kbs. I'm usually averaging 60mbps when I'm downloading other stuff and still using my internet. When I'm not using my internet I'm in the 80's to 90's. Steam is the only thing that downloads that slow for me

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
4 months ago#4
steam installs as it downloads which taxes your HDD if it's a slow one.

this is why console downloads are bs since they also have to go through a long installation/unpacking process after the files are downloaded.

dunno why it eats up your bandwidth preventing YT vids to buffer etc. but as for slow speeds... tried changing region?
http://abload.de/img/pcgamingxtuvt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

genesis145
4 months ago#5
AsucaHayashi posted...
steam installs as it downloads which taxes your HDD if it's a slow one.

this is why console downloads are bs since they also have to go through a long installation/unpacking process after the files are downloaded.

dunno why it eats up your bandwidth preventing YT vids to buffer etc. but as for slow speeds... tried changing region?

I didn't know it installed while downloading. Like I said hardly use steam only on here for nino kuni atm lol.

And I have not tried changing regions. Thanks for the tip

User Info: KaiRyusaki

KaiRyusaki
4 months ago#6
trying lowering the bandwidth to maybe 1mbps less than what you normally get
slower downloads but you can still do other stuff

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
4 months ago#7
If you run Steam downloader at max speed it will make everything else like watching a Youtube video much slower.

Some downloaders like on say Xbox might not use all your bandwidth by design, but they take longer to download the game. You can restrict Steam to only have a certain amount of bandwidth though if you want. Also if you have an older computer, then even other stuff will slow down because Steam does install the files as it goes, and most other things like Xbox require LONG unpacking and installing processes once you get the file completely downloaded.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Senbonzakura Miku, Priestess Snow Miku, Bjorn+Linlin

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#8
sounds like your nic is s***.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 months ago#9
genesis145 posted...
Just downloaded a game on my xbox one that was 17GB and only took an hour.

I call bulls*** on this statement.

The reason Steam hammers your Internet connection is because it WILL use all the available bandwidth unless you tell it not to. Steam is the fastest download service I've ever used because of this.

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
4 months ago#10
That's why you need multiple hard drive. Once it seek for write or read, everything slow down for other queue job. It's not really related by having a slow or a fast one.

I would also add that CPU thread or core also play a role in it as queue work is not related to processing power.

It's more about the limited amount of job that can be done at once, although faster hard drive will promote the job done faster, but you'll end up with stuttering.

It can also be router related as old router can't sustain high bandwidth usage due to overheating with current high speed connection.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does steam slow my entire computer when it downloads something -_-

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived