This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about OC

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about OC

User Info: Ryamus

Ryamus
2 months ago#1
Hello all,

I have just recently acquired a gtx 1080, and noticed that my 2500k (not OC’d) is bottlenecking some newer games. My question is would overclocking my 2500k do me a lot of good this late in its lifespan, or would I be better off investing in a newer cpu that has 6 cores? I’m thinking maybe clocking it to at least 4ghz from its stock 3.3.

Also, if I were to overclock it, would I need to invest in an aftermarket cooler? I bought some arctic mx-4 thermal paste since it’s been 6 years since I put this pc together, but I’m not sure if it would be enough.

Thanks!

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
2 months ago#2
Overclocking generally allows you to boost your CPU's performance by a small margin, and yes you'll want an aftermarket cooler because stock ones are generally crap anyway.

If you need more than an extra few frames per second and you know the CPU is holding you back, it's probably time to replace it. But you should also make sure it's genuinely the CPU that's creating your bottleneck since in a lot of applications that might not happen. Your bottleneck will always be application-specific.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#3
Before you get a new CPU, I would hold off until the 9th gen intel CPUs release. Everyone keeps saying to wait for the 8 core intel CPUs. This way the CPU will last you forever.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 months ago#4
Upgrade you have an ancient cpu by now
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
2 months ago#5
Ryzen+ is right around the corner, maybe check them out once they are here.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#6
Not worth spending extra for it
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

Ryamus
2 months ago#7
godplaysSNES posted...
Not worth spending extra for it

You mean not worth buying an aftermarket cooler for it?

Ryamus
2 months ago#8
captsplatter_1 posted...
Before you get a new CPU, I would hold off until the 9th gen intel CPUs release. Everyone keeps saying to wait for the 8 core intel CPUs. This way the CPU will last you forever.

Good idea, thanks
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about OC

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived