This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

should i keep my laptop fan at full speed while playing?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. should i keep my laptop fan at full speed while playing?

User Info: thepro189

thepro189
4 months ago#1
there isn't any downside to that, right?

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#2
While gaming no it is designed to work like that and it's OK while you game just don't put it on all the time.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

thepro189
4 months ago#3
@mucloud posted...
While gaming no it is designed to work like that and it's OK while you game just don't put it on all the time.

your last line indicates that it's not good if the fan runs at full speed everytime. how? isn't it better to keep the components from getting hot in the first place?

i only have two options, either normal fan speed run by the laptop, or 100% manually. it's a program.

mucloud
4 months ago#4
Gaming yes it's OK put it on max

None gaming put it on normal
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 months ago#5
thepro189 posted...
@mucloud posted...

your last line indicates that it's not good if the fan runs at full speed everytime. how? isn't it better to keep the components from getting hot in the first place?

i only have two options, either normal fan speed run by the laptop, or 100% manually. it's a program.

Look, 100% manually implies that you're setting it to 100%. I'm gonna leave that alone though and answer your question. Please excuse my poor english.

What is the point of making sure a component does not get hot, if the lifespan of the component that keeps it from getting hot is shortened? When that component that cools it is broken, you will replace that or the laptop will not function as intended.

Non-gaming formula "hypothesis". Sitting at windows/browsing the internet
Fan speed
100% = 10C
70% = 14C
45% = 18C
30% = 55C

You go with 45% simply because the heat difference does not justify the damage done to the fan at long term in contrast to 70 and 100% vs 30% is too much heat and now you're losing lifespan on the component that needs to stay cool when doing non intensive task. Now of course that is a hypothesis but you need to run test with HWinfo and figure out temps and find the optimal fan speed if you want to do everything manually. Just let the laptop cool itself like every other person does.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

thepro189
4 months ago#6
32x2z posted...
thepro189 posted...
mucloud posted...

Look, 100% manually implies that you're setting it to 100%. I'm gonna leave that alone though and answer your question. Please excuse my poor english.

What is the point of making sure a component does not get hot, if the lifespan of the component that keeps it from getting hot is shortened? When that component that cools it is broken, you will replace that or the laptop will not function as intended.

Fan speed
100% = 10C
70% = 14C
45% = 18C
30% = 55C

You go with 45% simply because the heat difference does not justify the damage done to the fan at long term in contrast to 70 and 100% vs 30% is too much heat and now you're losing lifespan on the component that needs to stay cool when doing non intensive task. Now of course that is a hypothesis but you need to run test with HWinfo and figure out temps and find the optimal fan speed if you want to do everything manually. Just let the laptop cool itself like every other person does.

i wasnt aware that the fan could get damaged from spinning at 100.

the thing is that i can't set the fan speed other than 100%. the program i'm using only has a "normal" and "full on" setting.

mucloud
4 months ago#7
I am aware of the 2 setting the program up.....use the 100%....while gaming and set the program to normal when you not gaming ..... Do not use 100% all the time it “ will ” damage the fan and it will wear out sooner.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
4 months ago#8
Fans get damaged by spinning, but the thing is they're rated for thousands of hours (or more) at 100%

If you have a setting to kick it up to 100% while gaming and then turn it back down to system-controlled when you're done you might as well
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
4 months ago#9
I would consider overclocking your laptop fan.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 months ago#10
thepro189 posted...
32x2z posted...
thepro189 posted...
mucloud posted...

Fan speed
100% = 10C
70% = 14C
45% = 18C
30% = 55C

i wasnt aware that the fan could get damaged from spinning at 100.

the thing is that i can't set the fan speed other than 100%. the program i'm using only has a "normal" and "full on" setting.

The term I am referencing is known as wearing out as another poster said above. By all means proceed and run your fans at 100% while doing nothing, I guarantee it will wear out faster. Listen to the other posters and just use normal when doing normal operations and 100% when the laptop is running near peak loads such as gaming for example. All we're trying to do is help you run your PC and maintain it's longevity.

Hint - Buy an underneath laptop cooler on amazon/newegg and never worry about the temperature. That's what I did with my laptop and it runs games hot but not hot enough for me to worry. Cost like 10-15 bucks and they got cool LED's and are USB powered. Plus it saves your legs from the cancer/getting burned.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. should i keep my laptop fan at full speed while playing?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived